1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Inverse of a Transformation

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Skjermbilde_2012_03_11_kl_11_55_44_AM.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose we take an arbitrary polynomial in [itex]P_2 (R)[/itex], call this [itex]a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2[/itex]

[itex]T(a_0 + a_1 x + a_2 x^2) = (a_0, a_0 + a_1 + a_2, a_0 - a_1 + a_2)[/itex]

Now, I was under the impression that I could construct a matrix for T by showing what T does to each of the standard basis vectors of [itex]P_2 (R)[/itex], these being the set [itex]1,x,x^2[/itex].

Doing some mapping: [itex]T(1 + 0x + 0x^2) = (1,1,1), T(0 + 1x + 0x^2) = (0,1,-1), T(0+0x+1x^2) = (0,1,1)[/itex].

Thus my matrix for T has these outputs as its columns. Via some elementary row reduction I concluded that the matrix (with semicolons indicating the end of a row) [1 0 0;0 1/2 1/2;-1 1/2 -1/2] is the inverse of T, call it S.

Moreover, it can be checked that T*S = I, which leads me to suspect that I have the write answer. Does this look about right?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2
    Yes it does

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook