1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Kinetic Energy from graph of Power

1. Feb 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2a8ndy9.png

2. Relevant equations
    P = dW/dt
    Change in work = Change in Kinetic Energy

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the integral of the power graph is work done in the system, and since it starts at 0, does this mean kinetic energy is the same thing? So I can probably make a triangle with a height of 20 and base 1 to get an area of 10 for the first problem? And then 30 for the next one?

Though I feel this is much more complicated than that...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, except that they are clearly not triangles. Can you think of a nonlinear equation that might better represent those curves?

4. Feb 23, 2014 #3
    The question says estimate, so would an equation for the curve be necessary?

Also, one of the tutors explicitly said there were two things to the Work Energy Theorem:
    1. The net work on a system is equal to the change in total energy of
    that system.
    2. The net work on a structureless element of a system is equal to the
    change in kinetic energy of that element.

My concern: Does potential energy play any part in this problem?

5. Feb 23, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question is really much too vague. If you allow for the possibility that some of the power has gone into potential energy (e.g. pushing it against a strong electric field) then all you can hope to do is provide an upper bound on the KE.
    Since it doesn't say how accurate the estimate is to be, yes, you could just treat the curve as a sawtooth, but by the same argument you could just estimate 0.
    So we are left to guess what is wanted. My guess would be to approximate the curves as either sine or negative quadratic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted