Finding Launch Speed and Maximum Height of a Toy Rocket

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the launch speed and maximum height of a toy rocket that passes by a 2.2m high window. The rocket takes 0.17s to travel the 2.2m height of the window and burns its propellant quickly at blastoff. Using the equation y=-4.9t^2+v_0t+y_0, the conversation discusses setting the initial height at 0 and solving for the unknown launch speed and time when the rocket reaches the window sill. The solution involves finding the difference between two equations and using substitution to solve for the launch speed and time.
zcd

Homework Statement

A toy rocket moving vertically upward passes by a 2.2 m high window whose sill is 9.0m above the ground. The rocket takes 0.17s to travel the 2.2m height of the window. What was the launch speed of the rocket, and how high will it go? Assume the propellant is burned very quickly at blastoff.

Homework Equations

[tex]y=-4.9t^2+v_0t+y_0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I start by assuming the rocket launched from the ground, so the initial height is 0. The height at an unknown time y(t0)=9.0=-4.9t02+v0t0, and the height .17s after is y(t0+.17)=2.2=-4.9(t0+.17)2+v0(t0+.17). If I take the difference, I end up with:
2.34161=-1.666t0+0.17v0.

If my reasoning wasn't wrong here, it seems I'm missing a piece of information to finish the problem. How would I find the exact point in time t0 where the rocket just reaches the window sill?

Physics news on Phys.org
y(t0+.17)=2.2=-4.9(t0+.17)2+v0(t0+.17).

The above equation should be

y(t0+.17)=2.2 + 9 =-4.9(t0+.17)^2+v0(t0+.17).

Now solve the equations to find vo and to.

I don't see how I can solve the equations. I don't know the value of t0

9.0=-4.9t0^2+v0t0,...(1)

2.2 + 9 =-4.9(t0+.17)^2+v0(t0+.17)...(2)

(2) - (1)

2.2 = -(4.9)[(to + .17)^2 - to^2] + vo*0.17

2.2 = -(4.9)[2*o.17*to + (0.17)^2] + vo*0.17

0.17*v0 = 2.2 + (4.9)[2*o.17*to + (0.17)^2]

Find vo and substitute is eq(1) and solve for to.

I didn't think of that. Thanks for the help!

Related to Finding Launch Speed and Maximum Height of a Toy Rocket

1. What is a kinematics toy rocket problem?

A kinematics toy rocket problem is a physics problem that involves the motion and trajectory of a toy rocket. It typically involves using equations and principles of kinematics, such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement, to solve for unknown variables.

2. How do you solve a kinematics toy rocket problem?

To solve a kinematics toy rocket problem, you first need to identify the known and unknown variables. Then, you can use kinematic equations, such as the equations for acceleration, velocity, and displacement, to solve for the unknown variable. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem.

3. What are some common variables in a kinematics toy rocket problem?

Some common variables in a kinematics toy rocket problem include initial and final velocities, acceleration, displacement, time, and angle of launch.

4. How does air resistance affect a kinematics toy rocket problem?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect a kinematics toy rocket problem by slowing down the rocket's speed and altering its trajectory. It is often ignored in simplified problems, but for more accurate solutions, the effect of air resistance should be considered.

5. Can kinematics equations be used for non-linear trajectories?

Yes, kinematics equations can be used for non-linear trajectories, such as parabolic paths, as long as the acceleration is constant. However, for more complex trajectories, other equations and principles, such as projectile motion, may need to be used.