Finding magnitude of a particle

In summary, a dust particle with a charge of -1.0 x 10^-18 C moving at 0.70 cm/s in a 0.90 T magnetic field experiences a magnetic force of -6.3 x 10^-21 N directed towards the north, based on the formula f=qvb and the right-hand rule.
sweetipie2216

Homework Statement

A magnet produces a 0.90 T field between its poles, directed to the east. A dust particle with charge q = -1.0 10-18 C is moving straight down at 0.70 cm/s in this field. What is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force on the dust particle?

Homework Equations

f=qvb

The Attempt at a Solution

(1.0e-18)(.007)(.90)=-6.3e-21 which is wrong

I followed the same format as someone else and my answer is wrong. can you help point out what the mistake is? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sweetipie2216 said:

Homework Statement

A magnet produces a 0.90 T field between its poles, directed to the east. A dust particle with charge q = -1.0 10-18 C is moving straight down at 0.70 cm/s in this field. What is the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force on the dust particle?

Homework Equations

f=qvb

The Attempt at a Solution

(1.0e-18)(.007)(.90)=-6.3e-21 which is wrong

I followed the same format as someone else and my answer is wrong. can you help point out what the mistake is? thanks.

Your magnitude looks correct. What direction did you get via the right-hand rule?

my direction is north

never mind i figured out the answer. thanks for your help

1. What is magnitude of a particle?

The magnitude of a particle is a measure of its size or strength. In physics, it refers to the scalar quantity that represents the size or intensity of a physical quantity, such as a force or velocity.

2. How is magnitude of a particle calculated?

The magnitude of a particle can be calculated using different formulas, depending on the physical quantity being measured. For example, the magnitude of a force can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of its components in each dimension.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of a particle?

Magnitude and direction are two components of a vector quantity. While magnitude represents the size or intensity of the vector, direction indicates the orientation or angle of the vector. In simple terms, magnitude is the "how much" and direction is the "where".

4. Can magnitude of a particle be negative?

No, magnitude is always a positive value. It represents the absolute value of a physical quantity and is independent of its direction. However, if a negative sign is included in the formula for calculating magnitude, it is used to indicate the direction of the vector.

5. How does magnitude of a particle affect its motion?

The magnitude of a particle can affect its motion in different ways, depending on the physical quantity being measured. For example, in the case of a force, a larger magnitude will cause a greater acceleration and therefore a faster motion. In the case of a velocity, a larger magnitude will result in a higher speed of the particle.