1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron enters magnetic field at 5000V -- What's the radius?

1. Jun 24, 2016 #1
    Hi! I'm getting ready for an exam and want to make sure if I solved some problems correctly. I would be grateful for your feedback :smile:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

After going through potential difference of 5000 V an electron falls in uniform magnetic field.
    It’s induction is 0.1T and the electron’s speed is perpendicular to the lines of the magnetic field.
    Find:
    A. radius of the circle around which the electron will be moving
    B. time it takes for the electron to travel one full circle.

2. Relevant equations
    K = eU = mv^2/2
    F = mv^2/r = B*q*v

3. The attempt at a solution
    B = 0.1 T
    U = 5000 V

Also if the electron is moving from left to right, and the magnetic field goes from top to bottom - Lorentz’s force would push it “into the screen”.

Since the kinetic energy of an electron K = eU = mv^2/2 we can find the speed.

e = 1.6*10^-19 J
    m = 9.1*10^-31 kg

So v^2 = 2eU/m = (2*1.6*10^-19*5000)/(9.1*10^-31) = 1.75824176*10^15
    v = sqrt(1.75824176*10^15) = 41931393.5 m/s

Because there’s centripetal magnetic force acting on the electron F = mv^2/r = B*q*v. Therefore r = mv/(B*q)
    r = (9.1*10^-31*41931393.5)/(0.1*1.6*10^-19) = 2.38484801*10^-3 m
    Or r = 2.38484801 mm.

To find the time we divide the length of the path by the speed, so
    t = 2Pi*r/v = (2*3.14*2.38484801*10^-3)/41931393.5 = 3.57175001*10^-10 s

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you take into account that the electron carries a negative charge?

The rest of your work looks good. But you should never write so many digits in your numerical calculations. Only include significant figures.

4. Jun 24, 2016 #3
    Thank you :) If the charge is negative - then Lorentz force should act in the opposite direction (out of the screen)?

5. Jun 24, 2016 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Dang that's quick. That electron is booking.

Assuming this is purely classical (non relativistic), it looks fine to me. I didn't check the actual numbers, but the procedure is correct.

6. Jun 24, 2016 #5
    Thanks!

7. Jun 24, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

8. Jun 24, 2016 #7
    One more question, I just can't fully understand it. If you have a wire in a magnetic field with some current going through it - the direction of the force will be according to the left (or sometimes called right) hand rule. But it would be opposite for a single electron, right?
    If current is a stream of electrons - why isn't the direction the same in those two cases?

9. Jun 24, 2016 #8

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Conventional current is taken in the direction a positive charge would flow. Ben Franklin got it wrong, originally, and we just stuck with it.

10. Jun 24, 2016 #9
    You mean current is actually a flow of positively charged particles?

11. Jun 24, 2016 #10

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

No, but when we write it down on paper, we choose the direction of the current to be the direction that would be taken by a positively charged particle, were that the case. We didn't know that electrons were actually what were causing electricity for a while, and we had no reason to assume that it was a negatively charged particle that was the one doing the moving around. We had a 50/50 shot, and we got it wrong lol.

12. Jun 24, 2016 #11
    Oh, you mean electrons actually flow from - to + but we supposed stuff flows from + to - ?

13. Jun 24, 2016 #12

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Yes, and that's how it is taken on paper. It's called conventional current, and it is usually what is used. I say usually, but I haven't used real electron flow to analyze a circuit, ever. Any time there's a current, it's always been conventional.

14. Jun 24, 2016 #13
    :biggrin: Haha, I didn't know this, it's fun :) But if a positively charged particle (like a proton) flies into a magnetic field - it's going to behave according to the left hand rule? I mean it would get pushed in the correct direction unlike an electron. What about a neutron? SInce it has no charge - what would be the direction of the force?

15. Jun 24, 2016 #14

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

No, protons, or conventional current both obey the right hand rule.
    Electrons would follow the left hand rule. Anything negatively charged, actually.

It is actually a really interesting story the way that my prof told it. I would guess that he embellished a little, however.

16. Jun 25, 2016 #15
    Thanks a lot :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted