Finding mass of Earth using the Moon and Kepler

In summary, when using Kepler's 3rd Law to calculate the mass of the Earth with the moon as a reference, it is correct to subtract the moon's mass from the total sum. This is due to Newton's generalization of the law for non-negligible mass of the orbiting body. The accurate mass of the Earth is 5.97E+24, rather than 6.07E+24.
hmvince
When calculating the mass of the Earth using the moon as a reference and Kepler's 3rd Law, is it correct to subtract the moon's mass after completing the sum:

Code:
m[SUB]e[/SUB] = (4*(pi)[SUP]2[/SUP]*r[SUP]3[/SUP]) / (G*t[SUP]2[/SUP])

m[SUB]e[/SUB] = (4*(pi)[SUP]2[/SUP]*385000000[SUP]3[/SUP]) / (G*2358720[SUP]2[/SUP])

m[SUB]e[/SUB] = 6.07[SUB]E[/SUB]+24

Should I be subtracting the moons mass to get:

Code:
m[SUB]e[/SUB] = 6.07[SUB]E[/SUB]+24 - 7.36[SUB]E[/SUB]+22  =   5.99[SUB]E[/SUB]+24

I know its not a big difference but I would like to be doing this correctly.
Thanks very much

Physics news on Phys.org
hmvince said:
When calculating the mass of the Earth using the moon as a reference and Kepler's 3rd Law, is it correct to subtract the moon's mass after completing the sum:

Code:
m[SUB]e[/SUB] = (4*(pi)[SUP]2[/SUP]*r[SUP]3[/SUP]) / (G*t[SUP]2[/SUP])

m[SUB]e[/SUB] = (4*(pi)[SUP]2[/SUP]*385000000[SUP]3[/SUP]) / (G*2358720[SUP]2[/SUP])

m[SUB]e[/SUB] = 6.07[SUB]E[/SUB]+24

Should I be subtracting the moons mass to get:

Code:
m[SUB]e[/SUB] = 6.07[SUB]E[/SUB]+24 - 7.36[SUB]E[/SUB]+22  =   5.99[SUB]E[/SUB]+24

I know its not a big difference but I would like to be doing this correctly.
Thanks very much

Yes, Newton generalized Kepler's 3rd law for non-negligible mass of the orbiting body .
It is given by :
me+ mm = (4*(pi)2*r3) / (G*t2)

Creator

Thankyou very much, 5.99E+24 is much more accurate than 6.07E+24 as the mass of the Earth is in fact, 5.97E+24
Appreciate the reply.

1. How does using the Moon and Kepler help in finding the mass of Earth?

The Moon's orbit around Earth is affected by Earth's mass and gravity, while Kepler's laws describe the relationship between a planet's mass, its orbit, and the gravitational force. By measuring the Moon's orbit and applying Kepler's laws, we can calculate Earth's mass.

2. What data is needed to calculate the mass of Earth using this method?

To calculate the mass of Earth using the Moon and Kepler, we need data on the Moon's orbital period, distance from Earth, and velocity. We also need to know Earth's orbital characteristics, such as its distance from the Sun and its orbital period.

3. How accurate is this method in determining Earth's mass?

This method has been used by scientists for centuries and has been refined over time, resulting in a high level of accuracy. The current accepted value for Earth's mass, based on this method, is 5.9722 × 10^24 kg, with a margin of error of only 0.0006%.

4. Can this method be used to determine the mass of other planets?

Yes, this method can be applied to other planets as well. By measuring the orbital characteristics of a moon around a planet and applying Kepler's laws, we can calculate the mass of the planet. In fact, this method has been used to determine the mass of many planets in our solar system.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Moon and Kepler method for finding Earth's mass?

While this method is highly accurate, it does have some limitations. One limitation is that it assumes Earth's orbit is a perfect circle, when in reality it is slightly elliptical. This can result in a small margin of error. Additionally, this method can only be used for planets that have moons orbiting around them.