1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding mass of ice in latent heat of fusion problem

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is: a 6 pack of cola cans contains m grams of liquid. you want to put ice into a perfectly insulated box to cool it down from Ts to Tf. The ice initially has temp Ti. So (a)how much ice would you need as a minimum. (ignore presence of cans and final state of ice will be water). (b) calculate the mass of ice initially at -5 deg celcius needed to cool 2.1kg of canned cola from 23 deg celcius to 4 deg celcius.

2. Relevant equations

specific heat of water = 4.18J
    Lf of water = 333.55Jkg-1
    mass(cola) x C (water) (Tf - Ts) = mass(ice) x C(ice) (0 - Ti) + mass(ice) x Lf + mass(ice) x C(water) (Tf - 0)

3. The attempt at a solution

I've worked out that the amount of energy needed to melt 'm'kg of ice = m(ice) x Lf(water) or Q = mL. also that heat lost by cola = heat gained by ice

I realise there are 3 stages involved:
    (1) heat needed to raise ice to O deg celcius
    (2) heat needed to melt ice
    (3) heat needed to raise temp of water (from melted ice) to Tf from O deg celcius.

Then I get lost. How do I find the mass of the ice to begin with? Do I rearrange the equation? If so, I have no idea how to start rearranging a long complex equation like this.

Thank you for any guidance on this.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi aussie-girl ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    call the mass of ice M, and write out the equations …

then we'll see how to rearrange them :wink:

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Hi tiny-tim, nice to meet you!

So done as suggested and here is the result:

part (a):

m(cola) x C(water) (Tf - Ts) = M(ice) x C(ice) (0 - Ti) + M(ice) x Lf + M(ice) x C(water) (Tf - 0)

part (b):

2.1kg x 4.186 x (4 - 23) = M(ice) x 2.093 x (0 - -5) + M(ice) x 333.55 + 4.186 (4 - 0)

I think I've substituted in the right figures. Please advise how I now proceed?

Thanks, appreciate your time and help!

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi aussie-girl! :smile:

(i haven't checked your figures, but …)

put M(ice) outside a bracket on the right-hand side …

M(ice) x [2.093 x (0 - -5) + 333.55 + 4.186 (4 - 0) ] :wink:

6. Mar 1, 2009 #5
    Hi again

I'm confused by what you said. I can see that you've taken the second M(ice) out of the equation and assume you mean to put that outside a bracket on the right-hand side? but that doesn't make sense to me. are you showing me what you mean by this:

M(ice) x [2.093 x (0 - -5) + 333.55 + 4.186 (4 - 0) ] but that can't be right because the second M(ice) is missing.

I've been thinking about this and I can't figure it out. maybe I'm just being thick but it is 3.30am over here! can you please explain more? I'm not expecting you to solve it for me but I need more explanation.

Thanks again...

7. Mar 1, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah yes … i should have noticed that …

the clue's in the name, isn't it? :biggrin:

Ma + Mb = M(a + b) …

(oh, and I should have written M(ice) x [2.093 x (0 - -5) + 333.55] + 4.186 (4 - 0) :redface:)

that may not mean anything to you right now, but …

get some sleep! :zzz:

… and it'll all be clear in the morning. :smile:

8. Mar 1, 2009 #7
    Hi again

Just before I go to bed (I need to know this stuff for a paper thats due tomorrow!) can I see if this is what you mean:

2.1kg x 4.186 x (4 - 23) = M(ice) x [2.093 x (0 - -5) + 333.55] + 4.186 (4 - 0)

-167.021 = M(ice) x 362.2

so to get M(ice) on its own via rearrangement, you get:

M(ice) = -167.021 / 362.2 = -0.46

I think I'm going crazy :'( this doesn't seem right! the answer is a negative. God I don't know! I think I'll go to bed now...

thanks again tiny-tim.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook