Finding max height and horizontal distance for tennis ball tosses

  • Thread starter Thread starter KingPapaya
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Projectile
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
41 replies · 5K views
Yes they do. And because the motion is not accelerated, how does ## \frac {s_1} {t_1} ## compare with ## \frac {s_2} {t_2} ##?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Of course they are constant, because they are ratios of constants. But that does not answer the question at all.
 
Oh sorry I meant that the velocities are constant, but other than that I'm not sure.
 
Are those two velocities different? Which one is higher?
 
Why would it be? The motion, as you said, is not accelerated.
 
Indeed. Any part of an unaccelerated path is traversed with the same constant velocity.

Now, you have total horizontal distance and total time.

You also have time to the apex, and and you need to find the horizontal distance to the apex.

Apply the results of the discussion to this.
 
So I should set up a proportion of: time it takes to reach max height/x=time of total flight/distance of whole flight