1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding moment of inertia of cone

1. Feb 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Why is it that when you integrate to find the moment of inertia of a cone standing on its vertex (like a spinning top) with height h mass M and radius R do you integrate the R limits as 0 to (R/h)z in the triple integral (cylindrical coordinates) below?
    2. Relevant equations
    I = moment of inertia
    D = density (M/πR2h)
    ρ = R distance from rotation axis (limits from 0 to (R\h)z)
    φ = 2π the angle swept (limits 0 to 2π)
    z = h the height of the cone (limits 0 to h)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I = ∫ρ2dm = D∫∫∫ρ3dρdφdz

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I assume you mean the r limits, not R limits.
    It depends on the order of integration. If the integration wrt r is the last step then the range is 0 to R. If it is an earlier step then the maximum value of r is constrained by the current value of z in the outer integral.

4. Feb 17, 2017 #3
    Yeah this is the case but I don't understand where it came from. Why doesn't it involve sines? How do you see it is (R/h)z from the picture? For the problem is was given as capital R for radius

5. Feb 17, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

R is the maximum radius, i.e. the radius at height h. For the integral, you need a variable for the radius at height z. r seems a reasonable choice.
    If the angle of the cone (slope to vertical) is θ then tan(θ) = R/h = r/z.

6. Feb 18, 2017 #5
    Okay thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted