Moment of inertia of a cylinder?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the moment of inertia of a cylinder with height 2h, radius a, and uniform mass density ρ about a line x=y=z using multiple integration. The discussed equation is I=ρ∫s^2*dV where s is the perpendicular distance to the axis of rotation and the integral is over the volume of the cylinder. The attempt at a solution involves using cylindrical polar coordinates and integrating using elemental volume dV=rdrdθdz. However, it is noted that there may be errors in assuming the distance of the mass element from the axis of rotation, as it may not be the z-axis. Further clarification is requested, including a sketch and details of the attempt.
MoAli

Homework Statement

the moment of inertia of A cylinder of height 2h radius (a) and uniform mass density ρ about a line x=y=z using multiple integration.

Homework Equations

I=ρ∫s^2*dV where the integral is over the volume V of cylinder and s is the perpendicular distance to the axis of rotation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting s^2=r^2+z^2 and integrate using cylindrical polars with elemental volume dV=rdrdθdz where r from 0 to a, z from -h to h, θ from 0 to 2π But I got the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your assumptions about the distance of the mass element from the axis of rotation. If you're using cylindrical polar coordinates it should simply be the radius coordinate, no Pythagoras involved.

gneill said:
Check your assumptions about the distance of the mass element from the axis of rotation. If you're using cylindrical polar coordinates it should simply be the radius coordinate, no Pythagoras involved.
well, that still is a wrong answer, the thing is the line about which the rotation occurs is not z axis, if it was then yes perpendicular distance is the radius.

MoAli said:
well, that still is a wrong answer, the thing is the line about which the rotation occurs is not z axis, if it was then yes perpendicular distance is the radius.
The you'll have to be specific about the orientation of the cylinder and which axis forms the axis of symmetry. Post a sketch if you can, and show us the details of your attempt.

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a cylinder is I = ½mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the cylinder, and r is the radius of the cylinder.

2. How does the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder compare to that of a solid cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is greater than that of a solid cylinder with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass of a hollow cylinder is distributed further away from the axis of rotation, resulting in a larger moment of inertia.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a cylinder is affected by its mass, radius, and distribution of mass. A larger mass or radius will result in a larger moment of inertia, while a more spread out distribution of mass will also increase the moment of inertia. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the cylinder can also affect its moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a cylinder change if its axis of rotation is shifted?

If the axis of rotation is shifted, the moment of inertia of a cylinder will also change. The moment of inertia will increase if the axis of rotation is moved further away from the center of mass of the cylinder, and decrease if the axis of rotation is moved closer to the center of mass.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a cylinder be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a cylinder cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion.