1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of a cylinder?

1. Jun 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the moment of inertia of A cylinder of height 2h radius (a) and uniform mass density ρ about a line x=y=z using multiple integration.

2. Relevant equations
    I=ρ∫s^2*dV where the integral is over the volume V of cylinder and s is the perpendicular distance to the axis of rotation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried setting s^2=r^2+z^2 and integrate using cylindrical polars with elemental volume dV=rdrdθdz where r from 0 to a, z from -h to h, θ from 0 to 2π But I got the wrong answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Check your assumptions about the distance of the mass element from the axis of rotation. If you're using cylindrical polar coordinates it should simply be the radius coordinate, no Pythagoras involved.

4. Jun 5, 2017 #3
    well, that still is a wrong answer, the thing is the line about which the rotation occurs is not z axis, if it was then yes perpendicular distance is the radius.

5. Jun 5, 2017 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The you'll have to be specific about the orientation of the cylinder and which axis forms the axis of symmetry. Post a sketch if you can, and show us the details of your attempt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted