Finding Moment of Inertia Using Integration

In summary: I'm not sure what the upper limit is. I think it's infinity? But I'm not sure. In summary, this conversation is discussing a cylinder with radius R and mass M that has a density that increases linearly with distance r from the cylinder axis. The moment of inertia of the cylinder about a longitudinal axis through its center in terms of M and R is found using the equation I = Ʃ(mi*r^2i). If the axis of rotation is the z-axis, then the MMOI about the z-axis is: ?.
student34

Homework Statement

A cylinder with radius R and mass M has density that increases linearly with distance r from the cylinder axis, ρ = αr, where α is a positive constant. Calculate the moment of inertia of the cylinder about a longitudinal axis through its center in terms of M and R.

This is from my textbook, but my textbook has only explained how to find inertias from uniform masses leading up to this question. What's even worse is that this question is given the easiest rating.

Homework Equations

I = Ʃ(mi*r^2i)

Normally I would find the integral of r^2*dm, but my book says that it is only for a uniform distribution of mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

I = Ʃ(mi*r^2i) = m(1)*r^2(1) + m(2)*r^2(2) + ...

I just cannot figure out how to incorporate an increasing density into this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SteamKing said:
You can't use your proposed formula for non-constant density. You must go back to the integral definition of mass moment of inertia.

If the axis of rotation is the z-axis, then the MMOI about the z-axis is:
?

See: http://www.saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ME1022.1.2.pdf
I couldn't find non-uniform increasing density in the link you provided. I feel fairly comfortable with simple objects that have a uniform density. But I just have no idea what to with a changing density. Here's my work.

I = ∫r^2*dm

ρ = αr (according to the question)

ρ = αr = dm/dV then dm = α*r*dV

I = ∫r^2*α*r*dV

dV = 2*∏*L*r*dr

I = ∫r^2*α*r*2*∏*L*r*dr
= ∫r^4*α*2*∏*L*dr
= α*2*∏*L*∫r^4*dr
= (ρ/r)*2*∏*L*∫r^4*dr
= (ρ/r)*2*∏*L*(r^5)/5
= ρ*2*∏*L*(r^4)/5
= (M/V)*2*∏*L*(r^4)/5
= (M*2*∏*L*r^4)/(5*∏*L*R^2)
= (2*M*R^2)/5

My textbook has I = (3*M*R^2)/5. I do not feel confident in my answer.

student34 said:
Here's my work.

I = ∫r^2*dm

ρ = αr (according to the question)

ρ = αr = dm/dV then dm = α*r*dV

I = ∫r^2*α*r*dV

dV = 2*∏*L*r*dr

I = ∫r^2*α*r*2*∏*L*r*dr
= ∫r^4*α*2*∏*L*dr
= α*2*∏*L*∫r^4*dr

I think everything's fine up to here. Of course, you should have definite limits of integration in mind for the integral.

But your next step shown below is odd.

= (ρ/r)*2*∏*L*∫r^4*dr
You can't replace the constant α by ρ/r because r is your variable of integration. Leave the integral in terms of α. But then you will need to do a separate integration to relate α to M and R.

TSny said:
I think everything's fine up to here. Of course, you should have definite limits of integration in mind for the integral.

But your next step shown below is odd.

You can't replace the constant α by ρ/r because r is your variable of integration.

The reason why I did this is because the question said that α is a constant. So then I just made sure that α = p/r stayed as a constant. I feel quite lost.

Leave the integral in terms of α. But then you will need to do a separate integration to relate α to M and R.

I don't why I would do that, and I don't know how I would do that. I feel like this question is beyond anything that we learned up until now in the textbook. But it is a question among many relatively easy ones that the chapter has a direct explanation for.

student34 said:
The reason why I did this is because the question said that α is a constant. So then I just made sure that α = p/r stayed as a constant. I feel quite lost.

OK, let's just take it step by step. You had a very good start where you got to the integral

I = ∫(r2)(αr)(L2∏rdr) = α2∏L∫r4dr.

(Note that we have formatting buttons for superscripts and subscripts that you can use to make the expressions easier to read.)

Now, α is just a constant factor that you can leave alone for now. Go ahead and evaluate the integral with the correct lower and upper limits for r.

tsny said:
ok, let's just take it step by step. You had a very good start where you got to the integral

i = ∫(r2)(αr)(l2∏rdr) = α2∏l∫r4dr.

(note that we have formatting buttons for superscripts and subscripts that you can use to make the expressions easier to read.)

now, α is just a constant factor that you can leave alone for now. Go ahead and evaluate the integral with the correct lower and upper limits for r.

I = α*2*∏*l*∫r4dr = (α*2*∏*L*r5)/5

I can't figure out how to show the proper scripts for the lower and upper limits for the integral. The lower is 0 and the upper is R.

Last edited:
student34 said:
I = α*2*∏*l*∫r4dr = (α*2*∏*L*r5)/5

[EDIT] Shouldn't your result for the integral be expressed in terms of the limits of integration?

I am just trying to figure out how to show that.

Don't worry about showing the limits of integration on the integral. Just worry about using those limits when evaluating the integral.

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{R}_{0}[/itex] How did you get your subscripts on top and on the bottom like that.

Let's not worry about how to type in the limits on the integral. What is the answer to ##\int_0^R r^4dr##?

Ok, it is r = R, and r = 0, right?

R5/5

student34 said:
Ok, it is r = R, and r = 0, right?

Those are the upper and lower limits of the integral. Do you know how to evaluate an integral at its limits? So far, you have gotten to the point of evaluating

##I = a2\pi L \int_0^Rr^4dr##.

Can you carry out the integration and evaluate at the limits?

student34 said:
R5/5

Good. So, what is your expression for the moment of inertia at this point?

TSny said:
Good. So, what is your expression for the moment of inertia at this point?

I = a*2*∏*L*R5/5

student34 said:
I = a*2*∏*L*R5/5
OK. Now you just need to figure out how to express the constant ##a## in terms of ##M## and ##R##. Can you use the density function to set up another integral that would represent the total mass of the cylinder?

TSny said:
OK. Now you just need to figure out how to express the constant ##a## in terms of ##M## and ##R##. Can you use the density function to set up another integral that would represent the total mass of the cylinder?

I = a*2*∏*L*R5/5 and α = ρ/r = m/(∏*L*r3)

= (m*2*∏*L*R5)/(∏*L*r3*5)

= (m*2*R2)/5

Hmmm, I'm stuck.

student34 said:
I = a*2*∏*L*R5/5 and α = ρ/r = m/(∏*L*r3)

You don't want to substitute α = ρ/r. That would put the variable r into the expression. But I should be a fixed constant. Note that r and R have distinct meanings, the first is a variable while the second is a constant.

The total mass M must be the sum (integral) of all the elements of mass dm: M = ∫dm. You know how to substitute for dm in terms of the density function and dV. Try it here and see if you can evaluate the integral.

TSny said:
You don't want to substitute α = ρ/r. That would put the variable r into the expression. But I should be a fixed constant. Note that r and R have distinct meanings, the first is a variable while the second is a constant.

The total mass M must be the sum (integral) of all the elements of mass dm: M = ∫dm. You know how to substitute for dm in terms of the density function and dV. Try it here and see if you can evaluate the integral.

ρ = dm/dV then dm = ρ*dV

So M = ρ∫dV = ρ∫2*L*r*dr, oh boy, I have a feeling that I am not on the right track.

student34 said:
ρ = dm/dV then dm = ρ*dV

So M = ρ∫dV = ρ∫2*L*r*dr

Oops. You can't pull ρ outside of the integral M = ∫ρdV, it's a function: ρ = αr. Also, you left out a factor of ∏ in the volume element: dV = 2∏*L*r*dr.

TSny said:
Oops. You can't pull ρ outside of the integral M = ∫ρdV, it's a function: ρ = αr. Also, you left out a factor of ∏ in the volume element: dV = 2∏*L*r*dr.

Ahhhh I think I got it.

M = ∫ρ*L*∏*r*dr

M = ∫α*r2*2*L*∏*dr

M = (α*2*L*∏*r3)/3

α = (3*M)/(2*L*∏*r3)

I = α*2*∏*L*R5/5 Now I will substitute in for α to bring M into the equation.

I = (3*M)/(2*L*∏*r3)*(2*∏*L*R5/5)

I = 3*M*R2/5

Is this correct?

student34 said:
Ahhhh I think I got it.
Yes, I think that's essentially it. When you do the integral M = ∫α*r2*2*L*∏*dr you should evaluate the result at the limits r = 0 and r = R. So, instead of writing the result as M = (α*2*L*∏*r3)/3, it should be (α*2*L*∏*R3)/3. When you solve for α, it should be written in terms of R instead of r.

Otherwise, looks good!

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Yes, I think that's essentially it. When you do the integral M = ∫α*r2*2*L*∏*dr you should evaluate the result at the limits r = 0 and r = R. So, instead of writing the result as M = (α*2*L*∏*r3)/3, it should be (α*2*L*∏*R3)/3. When you solve for α, it should be written in terms of R instead of r.

Otherwise, looks good!

Thank-you so much!

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rigid body that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion and is dependent on the body's mass distribution and shape.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = ∫r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is the differential mass element of the body. This involves integrating over the entire mass distribution of the body.

3. Why is integration used to find moment of inertia?

Integration is used because moment of inertia is a continuous property that varies throughout the body. By integrating over the entire mass distribution, we can accurately calculate the moment of inertia for the entire rigid body.

4. What are the units of moment of inertia?

The standard unit of moment of inertia is kg·m^2, but it can also be expressed in other units such as g·cm^2 or lb·ft^2 depending on the system of measurement being used.

5. How is moment of inertia used in practical applications?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in engineering and physics, as it is used to analyze the rotational motion of objects. It is commonly used in designing machines and structures that involve rotational movement, such as gears, flywheels, and rotating shafts.