1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding multivariate extrema with degenerate hessian matrix

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For what real values of the parameters a,b,c,d does the functiob [tex] f(x,y)=ax^3+by^3+cx^4+dy^4-(x+y)^5 [/tex] have a local minimum at (0,0)

2. Relevant equations
    I calculated the gradient at (0,0) and it is always zero regardless of parameters.
    The problem is that the Hessian matrix is also zero so I don't know what kind of criticial point it is.
    I also noticed that if (0,0) is a minimum then [tex] ax^3+by^3+cx^4+dy^4>(x+y)^5 [/tex] in the nieberhood but that still hasnt taken me very far.
    I don't see how I can use Lagrange multipliers, the inverse or implicit function theorems, since the gradient is 0 which precludes using them in any direct way. So my arsenal seems rather depleted.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Tal

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi talolard! :smile:

Your Hessian matrix is indeed zero, which means that we can't use it here. We'll have to use more direct methods.

Consider the lines [itex]y=\alpha x[/itex] and x=0 through (0,0). If f has a local minimum in (0,0), then it must also be a local minimum on these lines. So it suffices to show that [itex]f(x,\alpha x)[/itex] and f(0,y) have local minima in 0. And this is easy since the function has only one variable!!

4. Jul 5, 2011 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps I misunderstand your point, but those conditions are necessary but not sufficient to guarantee a local minimum.

f(x,y) = (y - x2)(y-2x2) has a local min along all rays through the origin but has a saddle point there.

5. Jul 5, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I see your point, and I must admit I haven't really thought about it. But the point is that your f is not differentiable in 0 (I think). I guess that the method would work for differentiable maps (although I can't seem to find a proof for it now). Correct me if I'm wrong!

Edit: thinking some more about it leads me to think that it is not even true for differentiable maps. Can't really find a counterexample, but I don't think this is the way to prove it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  6. Jul 6, 2011 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No: the above f is just a product of polynomials, so is as differentiable as you could ever want.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook