Finding net force using velocity graph?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the net force acting on a 2.5kg object based on its velocity graph. The approach of using acceleration and the formula F=ma is suggested, and it is recommended to plot acceleration on the same graph. The conversation also mentions that the force is constant since the decrease in velocity is linear, and to find the change in velocity over the periods when the momentum is changing to determine the force accurately.
jennaskim
Finding net force using velocity graph?

The figure(Figure 1) shows the velocity graph of a 2.5object as it moves along the x-axis.

06.EX08.jpg

What is the net force acting on this object at t=7 ?

The attempt at a solution

Since F=ma, I tried first finding a by dividing 6 m by 7 s. Then I got 0.857 m/s2 x 2.5 kg = 2.1429 ≈ 2.1 ...but it's wrong :(

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

What you need to do is plot acceleration on the same graph. Acceleration = ax*dvx/dt. So at first the particle accelerates positively a certain amount (how much?), then stops accelerating, then accelerates negatively another certain amount (again, how much?).

Now, keeping in mind Fx = max, read off ax on your newly created chart and use this formula.

What comment might you have regarding the ax graph for x < 6 s?

I got a= -2 at t = 7.
I did F = 2.5 x 2 = 5.0 ...It's still wrong

jennaskim said:
I got a= -2 at t = 7.
I did F = 2.5 x 2 = 5.0 ...It's still wrong

How did you get a = -2 at t = 7? That's really off.

Nevermind. I think it's a = 6? I took the slope = 12 / 2 = 6

correction: -6 ?

I used a = -6, and i got the right answer! Thanks for you help

Force is a change in momentum, the momentum changes for the first 3s and the last 2s - The force is constant since the decrease in velocity is linear. Find the change in velocity over the period of time when you know the momentum is changing, then you get the force. You know this is exact since the change in velocity throughout each time period is constant (not changing) - i.e. it is not an approximation.

What is a velocity graph and how is it used in finding net force?

A velocity graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity over time. It shows how an object's velocity changes over a specific period of time, with time on the x-axis and velocity on the y-axis. In order to find the net force acting on an object, we can use the slope of the velocity graph. The slope represents the object's acceleration, and by using the formula F=ma (force = mass x acceleration), we can calculate the net force.

How is the net force calculated using a velocity graph?

The net force is calculated by using the formula F=ma, where F represents the net force, m represents the mass of the object, and a represents the acceleration. In order to find the acceleration, we can use the slope of the velocity graph. By plugging in the values for mass and acceleration, we can calculate the net force acting on the object.

What are some key features of a velocity graph that can help in finding net force?

One key feature of a velocity graph that can help in finding net force is the slope. As mentioned before, the slope represents the object's acceleration, which is a crucial component in calculating net force. Another key feature is the area under the curve. If the velocity graph is not a straight line, the area under the curve represents the displacement of the object, which can also be used in calculating net force.

Can a velocity graph be used to find net force for objects with changing mass?

Yes, a velocity graph can still be used to find net force for objects with changing mass. The formula F=ma takes into account the changing mass by using the mass at a specific moment in time. As long as the mass is known at the given time, the velocity graph can still be used to calculate the net force.

What are some potential sources of error when using a velocity graph to find net force?

One potential source of error is human error in reading and interpreting the velocity graph. Another potential source is the accuracy of the measurements taken for the velocity graph. If the measurements are not precise, it can result in an incorrect calculation of net force. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance or friction can also affect the accuracy of the net force calculation.