Finding Normalization Constants for a Set of Energy Eigenstates

In summary, Allan Adams said that the normalization constants for an energy eigenstate equation for a 1D plane wave that is traveling from the left into a potential barrier where E < V at the barrier must be such that the wavefunction doesn't have a jump discontinuity at the beginning of the barrier. He said that the correct way to set the normalization constants is to use the pre-factor before the barrier as in the link below.
jaurandt
I do not know what I'm doing wrong but I'm working on the problem of finding the normalization constants for the energy eigenstate equation for a 1D plane wave that is traveling from the left into a potential barrier where E < V at the barrier. This is from Allan Adams' Lecture 12 of his 2013 Quantum Physics 1 lectures.

The system of equations left at x = 0 is

A + B = D
ikA - ikB = -aD (for the derivatives)

And he wrote that

D = (2k)/(k + ia)

and

B = (k - ia)/(k + ia)

He said we can "invert" the original equations to get those. After many attempts, I can't figure it out. Can someone please guide me along before I pull all of my hair out?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaurandt said:
A + B = D
ikA - ikB = -aD (for the derivatives)
I think "invert" probably refers to matrix inversion.
You have two equations and three unknowns here. That means that the system of equations has an infinite number of solutions. You could find a solution by considering A to be a parameter and solving for B and D in terms of A (treating A like a constant). Then you can set A to whatever constant value you choose (1 for example) to get corresponding values for B and D.

First of all, the normalization constants on both sides of the potential step have to be such that the wavefunction doesn't have a jump discontinuity at the beginning of the barrier. But that only determines the relative magnitudes of the two constants.

Unbound plane wave states are not normalized in the same way as bound states where the normalization makes the total probability of finding the particle to be 1. Maybe the correct way to set the normalization is one where the pre-factor before the barrier (when ##V=0##) is the ##1/\sqrt{2\pi \hbar}##, as in the link below.

https://quantummechanics.ucsd.edu/ph130a/130_notes/node138.html

1. What is a normalization constant?

A normalization constant is a numerical value that is used to scale a mathematical function or set of functions so that they are consistent with certain mathematical principles. In the context of finding normalization constants for energy eigenstates, it is used to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in a particular state is equal to 1.

2. Why is finding normalization constants important?

Normalization constants are important because they allow us to properly describe the behavior of a physical system. In the context of energy eigenstates, they are necessary for calculating the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

3. How do you find normalization constants for a set of energy eigenstates?

To find the normalization constant for a set of energy eigenstates, you must first calculate the total probability of finding the particle in any of the states. This can be done by taking the sum of the squared magnitudes of each state's wave function. The normalization constant is then equal to the inverse square root of this total probability.

4. Can normalization constants be negative?

No, normalization constants cannot be negative. They are always positive values, as they are used to scale the wave function to ensure that the total probability of finding the particle in any state is equal to 1.

5. Are normalization constants unique for each energy eigenstate?

Yes, normalization constants are unique for each energy eigenstate. This is because the total probability of finding the particle in a particular state is dependent on the specific wave function for that state, which is unique for each energy eigenstate.