Finding object distance with only the focal length and magnification?

In summary, to calculate the object distance using only the focal length and magnification, you can use the formula: Object distance = focal length / magnification. This formula is applicable to any type of lens and assumes that the focal length and magnification are in the same unit, typically in meters. If you have the object distance and want to find the focal length, you can rearrange the formula to Focal length = object distance * magnification. However, for more complex lenses, it is recommended to use more advanced techniques for calculating object distance. Additionally, you will also need to know the position of the object and image, which can be determined by measuring the distance from the lens to the object and image and using the correct sign convention
Kristy92
A magnifying glass has a diverging lens with a 13.0 cm focal length. At what distance from a toothpick should you hold this lens to form an image with a magnification of +5.00?

I simply have no idea what to do. I tied moving around the equations to make them work, but I can't figure it out.

Please help & thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kristy, Welcome to Physics Forums!you should have tried a bit more.

magnification = v/u = +5.

also, 1/f = 1/v - 1/u. f = -13cm for diverging lens.

solve.

1. How do I calculate the object distance using only the focal length and magnification?

To calculate the object distance, you can use the formula: Object distance = focal length / magnification. This formula assumes that the focal length and magnification are in the same unit, typically in meters.

2. Can I use this formula for any type of lens?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of lens, whether it is convex, concave, or a combination of both. Just make sure to use the correct sign convention for the focal length and magnification.

3. What if I have the object distance and want to find the focal length?

In this case, you can rearrange the formula to find the focal length: Focal length = object distance * magnification. Again, make sure to use the correct sign convention for the object distance and magnification.

4. How accurate is this method for finding the object distance?

This method is fairly accurate for simple lenses, but it may not be as precise for more complex lenses with multiple elements. In those cases, it's best to use more advanced techniques for calculating object distance.

5. Is there any other information I need to know to use this formula?

In addition to the focal length and magnification, you will also need to know the position of the object and the image. This can be determined by measuring the distance from the lens to the object and the lens to the image. Make sure to use the correct sign convention for these measurements as well.