Finding the magnification of a ball lens

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
DharshanT
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
How to find the magnification of a ball lens?
Relevant Equations
Please see image below.
245537


I don't really know how to relate the effective and back focal lengths for magnification purposes. Literature review suggests that a lens of 1mm diameter can have a magnification of 350x-400x, but I don't really know the calculations behind it. Please advise.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you need to take a point off-axis an distance ## d ## in the focal plane and compute the ## \Delta \theta_{magnified} ## for the parallel rays that emerge. The magnification is often referenced to 10" or about 25 cm, if I'm not mistaken, so that magnification ## M=\frac{ \Delta \theta_{magnified}}{d/(10")} ##. ## \\ ## In more detail: ## \\ ## Without the ball, the eye sees an object of size ## d ## subtending an angular spread of ## \Delta \theta_{unmagnified}=\frac{d}{10"} ##. ## \\ ## When viewed with the ball, the angular spread will be ## \Delta \theta_{magnified} ##= whatever you compute by putting the object as a point in the focal plane off-axis by a distance ## d ##. ## \\ ## The ratio of these two angles, ## M=\frac{\Delta \theta_{magnified}}{\Delta \theta_{unmagnified}} ##, is the magnification.
 
Last edited:
rude man said:
What happens if you Just use the lensmaker's formula. That would give you focal length and magnification.
I think this one is best worked from first principles. The lensmaker's formula is for a thin lens.
 
Charles Link said:
I think this one is best worked from first principles. The lensmaker's formula is for a thin lens.
oh yeh - good point
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link