Finding # of g's experienced on Jupiter

• Thread starter Razael
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jupiter
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the number of g's a person would experience at the equator of a planet the size of Jupiter. The conversation goes on to discuss the use of equations and data to determine the speed of the equator, the centripetal force needed for a person to move on a circular path, and finally, the normal force experienced by the person and its relation to g. The conversation also clarifies the difference between horizontal and centripetal acceleration.
Razael

Homework Statement

Jupiter is about 320 times as massive as the Earth. Thus, it has been claimed that a person would be crushed by the force of gravity on a planet the size of Jupiter since people can’t survive more than a few g’s. Calculate the number of g’s a person would experience at the equator of such a planet. Use the following data for Jupiter, and take centripetal acceleration into account.

Mass = 1.9 x 1027kg
Equatorial radius = 7.1 x 102km (7.1 x 102m)
Rotation period = 9 hours, 55 minutes (35700 seconds/rotation)

Homework Equations

F = GMm/r2 = ma (or mar)
mar = mv2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

F = (6.67 x 10-11)(1.97 x 1027)m / (7.1 x 107)2 = mar

m's cancel, I get a centripetal acceleration of 26.06m/s2

I also found velocity; 26.06m = mv2 / r
m's cancel once again, V = [tex]\sqrt{}26.06(7.1 x 10^7[/tex] = 43014.65m/s. Not sure if that's important.

And from there I have no clue. I don't know how to use the rotation period (I don't think they'd give me it if it wasn't important) and I have no idea how to use the centripetal acceleration to find g.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to find the normal force Fn on the person at the surface of Jupiter. The gravity of Jupiter acts towards the centre, the normal force away from the centre, and as a result, the person moves on a circle with radius of Jupiter and period equal to the rotation period of Jupiter, so with speed equal to that of the equator. (The speed you calculated would be the speed of a space probe orbiting just above the surface of Jupiter. )
So you have to calculate the speed of the equator first, and then Fcp belonging to that speed. This is equal to the difference between the force of gravity and Fn. From that, you get Fn, and Fn/m is the "G" in question.

By the way, the Equatorial radius = 7.1 x 104km.

Okay that was very confusing, but I thought of something else.

Given the period time, I figured I could use the V = 2(pi)(r) / T equation.

V= 2(pi)(7.1 x 10^7m) / 35700s = 12495.97m/s

Fcp = mv^2 / r

Fcp = (1.97 x 10^27kg)(12495.97m/s) / (7.1 x 10^7) = 4.33 x 10^27N

I don't know where to go from here. This is force in the horizontal direction, is it not?

Anyone?

Well, again. The question was: "Calculate the number of g’s a person would experience". What does it mean? How many g-s you feel here on the Earth?

ehild

Ah. For some reasoning I was thinking that centripetal acceleration was horizontal.

26.06 / 9.8 = 2.66 g's felt, correct?

But then where does the rotational period come into play?

The 2.66 g would be the case if the Jupiter had not revolved. But it does and together with its equator, the person moves on a circle. For that, a certain centripetal force is needed, and the magnitude of this force can be calculated from the speed of the man (here comes in the period) and the radius of Jupiter. You have calculated that speed, V= 2(pi)(7.1 x 10^7m) / 35700s = 12495.97m/s. Determine the centripetal acceleration which corresponds to this speed.

The person moves with this centripetal acceleration round, and this motion is the result of two forces: one is the gravitational pull of Jupiter, FG = GMm/r2,
the other force is the normal force Fn from the ground, it points upward. If m is the mass of the person
macp =mv2/r= GMm/r2-Fn.

Determine Fn/m and divide it with g=9.8.

ehild

1. How many g's are experienced on Jupiter?

The amount of g-force experienced on Jupiter varies depending on the location on the planet. At the equator, the g-force is around 2.5 times that of Earth, while at the poles it can reach up to 3.3 times the g-force on Earth.

2. How is the g-force on Jupiter measured?

The g-force on Jupiter is measured by comparing the acceleration due to gravity between Jupiter and Earth. This is done using a formula that takes into account the mass and radius of each planet.

3. What is the impact of Jupiter's high g-force on the human body?

The high g-force on Jupiter can have a significant impact on the human body, potentially causing bone and muscle loss, as well as increased risk of heart and cardiovascular issues. However, these effects are not fully understood and would depend on the length of time spent on Jupiter and the individual's physical condition.

4. Can humans survive on Jupiter with its high g-force?

It is unlikely that humans could survive on Jupiter due to its high g-force, intense gravity, and harsh atmospheric conditions. Our bodies are not adapted to handle such extreme conditions, and there are currently no technologies available to allow for human survival on Jupiter.

5. Are there any organisms that can survive on Jupiter's high g-force?

It is highly unlikely that any known organisms could survive on Jupiter's high g-force. The extreme conditions on the planet, including the intense gravity, radiation, and lack of oxygen, make it nearly impossible for life as we know it to exist on Jupiter.