Length of one day on another planet

In summary: According to her, the scale would indicate that the person is being pulled towards the center of the planet because the gravitational force is greater on the equator than on the other side.
Balsam

Homework Statement

Imagine another planet with an acceleration of 10m/s^2 at its equator when ignoring the rotation of the planet. The radius of the planet is 6.2 x 10^6m. An object dropped at the equator yields an acceleration of 9.70m/s^2. Determine the length of one day on this planet.
r=6.2x10^6m
g=9.70m/s^2
a=10m/s^2--> I don't know why we were given the first acceleration, I don't think it's equal to ac.

Homework Equations

I used Fc=4pi^2mr/T^2 and isolated for T.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation, plugging in mg for Fc because I think the force of gravity is the centripetal force. The 'm' variables canceled out since I just divided them out. Then, I plugged all of my other given values in and solved for T. Since T is the time it takes in seconds to complete one revolution, I divided my result by 3600 to get the time it takes in hours to complete one revolution. My final answer was about 1.3hours. However, the book's answer is 7.9hours. I don't know where I went wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Fgravity does more than keep a person in a cicular orbit. It also keeps his feet on the ground ... with a given force mg.

BvU said:
Fgravity does more than keep a person in a cicular orbit. It also keeps his feet on the ground ... with a given force mg.
But the formula I used just asked for Fc

So ?

If a person with a mass of 80 kg stands on a scale, the scale will show 80 x 9.7 kg, so the scale will push up with 776 N. Where does that force come from ?

BvU said:
If a person with a mass of 80 kg stands on a scale, the scale will show 80 x 9.7 kg, so the scale will push up with 776 N. Where does that force come from ?
It's the force of gravity, but how is that important in centripetal acceleration?

If the planet wouldn't rotate, what would the scale indicate ?

BvU said:
If the planet wouldn't rotate, what would the scale indicate ?
Apparently you have to subtract the acceleration of the dropped object from the acceleration of the planet

Is that understandable ?

BvU said:
Is that understandable ?
I don't understand why you're supposed to do that, but that's what my teacher said

What is the length of one day on another planet?

The length of one day on another planet varies depending on the planet's rotation period. For example, on Mars, one day (also known as a "sol") is approximately 24 hours and 39 minutes, while on Venus, one day is equivalent to 243 Earth days.

How is the length of one day on another planet determined?

The length of one day on another planet is determined by the planet's rotation period, which is the time it takes for the planet to make one full rotation on its axis. This can be measured using specialized equipment such as telescopes and radar instruments.

Why is the length of one day on another planet different from Earth?

The length of one day on another planet is different from Earth due to variations in the planet's size, mass, and distance from the sun. These factors affect the planet's rotation speed and therefore, the length of its day.

Are there any planets with the same length of one day as Earth?

Yes, there are planets with a similar length of one day as Earth. For example, Mercury has a rotation period of approximately 59 Earth days, making its day length similar to Earth's. Additionally, Uranus also has a day length of about 17 Earth hours, which is close to Earth's 24-hour day.

How does the length of one day on another planet affect life on that planet?

The length of one day on another planet can have a significant impact on the planet's climate and conditions, which can affect the potential for life to exist. For example, a longer day may result in extreme temperature differences between day and night, making it difficult for life to survive. Additionally, a shorter day may also affect the planet's magnetic field and atmosphere, which are crucial for supporting life.