Finding orbital period of satellite 3.70×10⁸ m from planet

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
shawonna23
Messages
146
Reaction score
0
A satellite orbits a planet at a distance of 3.70*10^8 m. Assume that this distance is between the centers of the planet and the satellite and that the mass of the planet is 3.93*10^24 kg. Find the period for the moon's motion around the earth. Express the answers in Earth days.


I tried using this equation: T= (2pi)(r)^(3/2) divided by square root of GMe
The answer I got wasn't right. Please Help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I know this sounds like a lot of work but if your equations aren't working right and nobody else gives an answer (I'll delete this if someone does) you can just set centripetal force equal to the gravitational force between two bodies (the mass of the moon cancels out so you don't need it but put it in as a constant first) and solve for the velocity. This velocity can then be used to calculate the period. Edit I would like to point out if you pull this off you will have derived the equation you were told to use.
 
Shawonna, show us your work using that formula, because it should work.
 
Physics Problem: Satellites in Circular Orbits

Here is my work:

T= 2*pi*(3.70*10^8)^(3/2) DIVIDED BY (6.67*10^-11)*(3.93*10^24)

i keep getting the wrong answer.
 
U sure the formula is right??
i have this feeling u missed a root somewhere
prolly sqrt(G)??

-- AI
 
If you used the formula correctly, you should have got an answer in the order of 32 days.