Determine Orbital Period Of Satellite

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the orbital period of an artificial satellite orbiting the Earth in a circular orbit where the acceleration due to gravity is 6.32 m/s^2. Different methods and equations are suggested and used, including solving for the radius of the orbit, using the acceleration and velocity equations, and using the relationship between angular velocity and period. The final answer is determined to be incorrect due to a mistake in algebra.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

An artificial satellite circles the Earth in a circular orbit at a location where the acceleration due to gravity is 6.32 m/s^2. Determine the orbital period of the satellite [in minutes].

Homework Equations

[itex]g= G \frac{M_E}{r^2}[/itex] Solving for [itex]r[/itex], and G is a constant

[itex]T^2=K_sr^3[/itex] Solving for T, and [itex]K_s[/itex] is a constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving the first equation for [itex]r[/itex], I obtain the value of [itex]6.30440 \cdot 10^{13}~m[/itex]; and substituting this value into the second equation, I get an orbital period of [itex]1.24 \cdot 10^{21} min[/itex] (this value has been converted from seconds to minutes). However, this isn't the correct. What did I do incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
What value of Ks are you using?

That would be the one they provided in the textbook, 2.97 x 10^-19.

Bashyboy said:
Solving the first equation for [itex]r[/itex], I obtain the value of [itex]6.30440 \cdot 10^{13}~m[/itex]
Did you stop to think how far that is? Looks like you forgot to sqrt.

I re-worked the problem, but it is still incorrect.

I recalculated the distance at which the satellite is suspended above the earth:

[itex]r= \sqrt{\frac{G(5.97 \cdot 10^{24})}{6.32}} = 7940022.399~m[/itex]

Using this, I evaluated the period equation: [itex]T= \sqrt{K_s(7940022.399)^3} = 12.2~s[/itex]

None of this is correct. What am I doing wrong? I am not sure if these are the proper equations.

Bashyboy said:
I re-worked the problem, but it is still incorrect.

I recalculated the distance at which the satellite is suspended above the earth:

[itex]r= \sqrt{\frac{G(5.97 \cdot 10^{24})}{6.32}} = 7940022.399~m[/itex]

Using this, I evaluated the period equation: [itex]T= \sqrt{K_s(7940022.399)^3} = 12.2~s[/itex]

None of this is correct. What am I doing wrong? I am not sure if these are the proper equations.

You probably don't want to use the Kepler equation. The acceleration due to gravity should be the same as the centripetal acceleration v^2/r. Can you figure out a way to use that?

You don't even need to know the mass of the Earth to do this. All you need to know is that g varies inversely as the square of the distance from the center of the Earth and that the radius of the Earth is about 6450 km. So

[tex](9.8)(6450)^2=6.32r^2[/tex]

What does this give you for r?

Yes, simply adjusting from g by the ratio of squares of the radii is much the simplest, but in terms of where the OP went wrong it was in using Ks, which incorporates the mass of the sun, instead of (what I assume may be called) Ke.

haruspex said:
Yes, simply adjusting from g by the ratio of squares of the radii is much the simplest, but in terms of where the OP went wrong it was in using Ks, which incorporates the mass of the sun, instead of (what I assume may be called) Ke.

As I'm sure you're aware, in the next step, he didn't need to know the mass of the Earth either. He could just simply have used:
[tex]\omega^2r=6.32[/tex]
with [itex]\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}[/itex]

Chet

All right, I tried it a different way, according to the suggestion of Dick.

I still used the same method to find the radius at which the satellite is revolving.
That being: [itex]r=7940022.399~m[/itex].

Then, [itex]6.32=\frac{v^2}{7940022.399} \implies v = 7083.85~m/s[/itex]

Furthermore, [itex]v=r\omega \implies \omega = 8.92 \cdot 10^{-4}~rad/s[/itex]

Using the relationship Chestermiller alluded to, [itex]\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T} \implies T=0.001401476~s[/itex]

However, after all is said and done, this is the incorrect answer.

Bashyboy said:
All right, I tried it a different way, according to the suggestion of Dick.

I still used the same method to find the radius at which the satellite is revolving.
That being: [itex]r=7940022.399~m[/itex].

Then, [itex]6.32=\frac{v^2}{7940022.399} \implies v = 7083.85~m/s[/itex]

Furthermore, [itex]v=r\omega \implies \omega = 8.92 \cdot 10^{-4}~rad/s[/itex]

Using the relationship Chestermiller alluded to, [itex]\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T} \implies T=0.001401476~s[/itex]

However, after all is said and done, this is the incorrect answer.

You messed up the algebra in the very last step. Otherwise, OK.

1. What is the orbital period of a satellite?

The orbital period of a satellite is the time it takes for the satellite to complete one full orbit around its parent body, such as a planet or moon.

2. How is the orbital period of a satellite determined?

The orbital period of a satellite is determined by the satellite's distance from the parent body and its velocity in its orbit. This can be calculated using Kepler's third law of planetary motion.

3. Are all satellites' orbital periods the same?

No, the orbital period of a satellite can vary depending on its distance from the parent body and the mass of the parent body. The orbital period can also be affected by external forces such as gravity from other bodies or atmospheric drag.

4. Can the orbital period of a satellite change over time?

Yes, the orbital period of a satellite can change due to various factors such as changes in the satellite's velocity, external forces, and the parent body's gravitational pull. These changes can also be controlled by adjusting the satellite's altitude and trajectory.

5. Why is it important to determine the orbital period of a satellite?

Knowing the orbital period of a satellite is crucial for accurately predicting its position and trajectory in space. It is also essential for coordinating and maintaining communication and navigation systems with the satellite, as well as for launch and maneuver planning.