1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding orthonormal simultaneous eigenkets of two operator matrices

1. Sep 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a thee-dimensional ket space. If a certain set of orthonormal kets - say, |1>, |2>, and |3> - are used as the base kets, the operators A and B are represented by
    A =
    a 0 0
    0 -a 0
    0 0 -a

B =
    b 0 0
    0 0 -ib
    0 ib 0

with a and b both real.
    a) Obviously A exhibits a degenerate spectrum. Does B also exhibit a degenerate spectrum?
    b) Show that A and B commute.
    c) Find a new set of orthonormal kets which are simultaneous eigenkets of both A and B. Specify the eigenvalues of A and B for each of the three eigenkets. Does your specification of eigenvalues completely characterize each eigenket?

2. Relevant equations
    [A,B] = AB - BA = 0 if A & B commute

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) B has eigenvalues b,b,-b. So yes, B is degenerate.
    b) I have no problem showing that A & B commute.
    c) I know how to find eigenkets (eigenvectors) of a matrix using the matrix eigenvalues, but I do not know how to go about finding eigenkets that are simultaneous eigenkets of both A and B?
    I tried finding eigenvalues of the matrix AB, which come out to ab,ab,-ab (also degenerate) but can only construct 2 eigenkets, and when I construct a third orthonormal eigenket using the cross product |1>[tex]\otimes[/tex]|2> ) it does not give A|3> = a|3> or B|3> = b|3>.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

edit:
    I understand that the eigenkets should satisfy A|a'b'> = a'|a'b'> & B|a'b'> = b'|a'b'>, I just don't know how to go about finding |a'b'>.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] commute, theeigenkets of either will also automatically be eigenkets of the other....I suspect you have already proven this in class, or in your text?

4. Sep 28, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply gabbagabbahey,
    Yes, I found that in the textbook. I ended up leaving the eigenkets in a generalized form, then taking a cross product and choosing 3 kets that satisfied the generalized forms for all the eigenkets.

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4
    I know that when two operators A and B commute, any eigenket of A is also an eigenket of B.
    As such, i think(Not certain though) that it suffices in this case to find eigenkets of either A or B and then normalize the vectors. What do you guys think?

6. Sep 14, 2011 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's not quite accurate because of degeneracy. For example, for a free particle, H=p2/2m. The Hamiltonian and the momentum operator p commute, but the state [itex]\vert p \rangle + \vert -p \rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate of H, but it's not an eigenstate of p.

7. Sep 14, 2011 #6
    Oh, that's true.
    In this case, what condition should we place on the statement i did mention above?

i.e if A and B commute, then any eigenket of A is an eigenket of B.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook