What do simultaneous eigenkets tell us about the commutativity of A and B?

• Thread starter Lawrencel2
  • Start date
In summary, "simultaneous eigenkets" refer to eigenkets that are common to multiple operators, in this case A and B. These eigenkets, denoted as {|a',b'>}, form a complete orthonormal set of base kets. When an eigenket is common to both A and B, it implies that they commute, which is represented by [A,B]=0.
Lawrencel2

Homework Statement

If A and B are observables, suppose that the simultaneous eigenkets of A and B, {|a',b'>} form a complete orthonormal set of base kets.
Can we always conclude that [A,B]=0

Homework Equations

A|a'> = a' |a'>
B|b'> = b' |b'>

The Attempt at a Solution

I Honestly don't know where to start.
What does it mean that the are "Simultaneous Eigenkets"?

I do know that it implies that you can take a measurement of both without having to destroy the previous measurement. Everywhere i look seems to start at the opposite end assuming that they commute.
So if someone can explain what "Simultaneous eigenkets" means, I can probably get a bunch further..
I want to figure this out but i can't seem to really even get started.

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that you can write ## A|a',b'\rangle=a' |a',b'\rangle ## and ## B|a',b'\rangle=b'|a',b'\rangle ##, which means ##|a',b'\rangle## is the eigenket of both A and B, so their "simultaneous eigenket"!

Lawrencel2 said:

Homework Statement

If A and B are observables, suppose that the simultaneous eigenkets of A and B, {|a',b'>} form a complete orthonormal set of base kets.
Can we always conclude that [A,B]=0

Homework Equations

A|a'> = a' |a'>
B|b'> = b' |b'>

The Attempt at a Solution

I Honestly don't know where to start.
What does it mean that the are "Simultaneous Eigenkets"?

I do know that it implies that you can take a measurement of both without having to destroy the previous measurement. Everywhere i look seems to start at the opposite end assuming that they commute.
So if someone can explain what "Simultaneous eigenkets" means, I can probably get a bunch further..
I want to figure this out but i can't seem to really even get started.

|a',b'> is a simultaneous eigenket of both A and B if it's an eigenket of BOTH the operators A and B. I.e. A|a',b'>=a'|a',b'> and B|a',b'>=b'|a',b'>. Think about what the matrix and A and B look like in that basis.

Related to What do simultaneous eigenkets tell us about the commutativity of A and B?

1. What are simultaneous eigenkets?

Simultaneous eigenkets are a concept in quantum mechanics where two or more operators have a common set of eigenkets. This means that the eigenkets of one operator are also eigenkets of the other operators.

2. How are simultaneous eigenkets related to each other?

Simultaneous eigenkets are related to each other through their eigenvalues. This means that the eigenvalues of one operator are also eigenvalues of the other operators.

3. What is the significance of simultaneous eigenkets?

The significance of simultaneous eigenkets is that they represent the state of a quantum system that is simultaneously in multiple eigenstates. This allows for the measurement of multiple observables at the same time, providing more information about the system.

4. How do you find simultaneous eigenkets?

To find simultaneous eigenkets, you need to solve the eigenvalue equations for each operator, and then find the common set of eigenkets and eigenvalues. This can be done using mathematical techniques such as matrix diagonalization or by using computer programs.

5. Can simultaneous eigenkets exist for non-commuting operators?

No, simultaneous eigenkets can only exist for commuting operators. Non-commuting operators do not have a common set of eigenkets, and therefore cannot have simultaneous eigenkets.