1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Oscillation Amplitude?

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a problem where I am given the following values:
    Angular Oscillation Frequency which I have assigned to omega
    Spring Constant, which is k
    The system's kinetic energy in Joules.
    Phi is assumed to be 0

I am asked to find the oscillation amplitude at a certain time, t.

2. Relevant equations

I am using two different formulas.

[tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}(kA^{2})[/tex] I am using this one to solve for A.

[tex]x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\varphi)[/tex] Then this one to solve for the oscillation amplitude at time "t"

3. The attempt at a solution

I am stuck on the oscillation amplitude. I know this is also referred to as A (which is the max amplitude of the object) in my formula, but since it is asking for the amplitude at a certain time, would this be the same thing as x(t), displacement? I've never seen it worded this way, so I am not sure if they are the same thing.

I can provide the values if that will help and I can show my final answer to see if it is correct.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Unless your oscillation is damped, 'A' would be constant. I think they want you to find the displacement at a certain time.

Total energy = 1/2 k A2 = 1/2 kx2+1/2mv2
  4. Apr 23, 2010 #3
    Yeah, you are right. I read the question wrong. It just wants the amplitude from an energy at time t. But your answer helps because that clears up A.

So with those givens I posted, is it possible to just use KE=1/2kA^2, and then solve for for A? Or do I need anything extra?
  5. Apr 23, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

Depending on the time t, you will need to use KE+PE = constant which is the equation which I posted and find 'A' from there:

6. Apr 23, 2010 #5
    Here is the exact question.

A mass on a spring has an angular oscillation frequency of 2.56 rad/s. The spring constant is 27.2 N/m, and the system's kinetic energy is 4.47J when t = 1.56 s. What is the oscillation amplitude? Assume that φ = 0.00.

At first I some how missed the period and thought the time was referring to the oscillation amplitude. But now that I read it again, I think it's just asking for A. Since I don't know the mass, is it possible to solve it just using the KE=1/2kA^2?

I ended up with 0.5 something meters. (I don't have my paper with me right now, so I can't remember my exact answer)
  7. Apr 23, 2010 #6

Homework Helper

The total energy of the oscillator is KE+PE = 1/2 kA^2. The potential energy at a given position x is PE=1/2 kx^2. KE at a given time is

KE(t)=1/2kA^2-1/2 k x(t)^2

Supposing that x=A cos (wt), you know everything to get A.

8. Apr 23, 2010 #7
    Hmm...in order to get x, I have to find A first, which is the exact question. I guess that is where I confused. With what I am given, the only thing that makes sense is KE=1/2kA^2.

I don't see why one would need to solve anything related to x=A cos (wt). Since in order to use that I have to know either A or the position, neither of which I have. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  9. Apr 23, 2010 #8
    Oooh....I see I think.

So if I use the total energy) KE(t)=1/2kA^2-1/2 k x(t)^2, I have two unknowns. But I can sub in cos(wt) for x(t). Solving for A I get....

[tex]A=\sqrt{\frac{2KE+k[cos(\omega t)]^2}{k}}[/tex]

Which comes out to be 0.87m for A.

Does that look right?
  10. Apr 23, 2010 #9
    Except this is where I am confused. Your equation says

Total energy = 1/2 k A^2 = 1/2 kx^2+1/2mv^2

If the total energy is KE=1/2kA^2. I should be able solve from there??
  11. Apr 23, 2010 #10

Homework Helper

No. You have to sub in Acos(wt) for x(t).

12. Apr 23, 2010 #11
    Oh yeah, duh.

So how about.

[tex]A=\sqrt{\frac{KE}{0.5k-0.5k[cos(\omega t)]^2}[/tex]

That gives me 0.762m.

The part I still don't get is why can't I just solve for the total energy KE=1/2kA^2 since that represents the total energy of the system?
  13. Apr 23, 2010 #12

Homework Helper

Your result is correct.

"the system's kinetic energy is 4.47J when t = 1.56 s". 1/2 kA^2 is the maximum potential energy which is the same as the maximum kinetic energy, but different from the kinetic energy at t=1.56 s.

14. Apr 23, 2010 #13
    I finally get it. Thanks for including that explanation at the end. That helps me out a ton because now I actually understand why the way I was doing it didn't work.

Thanks again.
  15. Apr 23, 2010 #14
    Also note that if energy is conserved then 1/2 kA2 is the total energy of the system (K + U). So erok81 the original equation you supplied for KE is actually, as the other posters have pointed out, the equation for total energy of the system, . I think that's where your confusion arised/arose?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook