Finding parallel and perpendicular components of a force

In summary, the conversation discusses a plane with an outer normal unit vector and a force acting on the surface. The question is to find the components of the force that are normal and parallel to the plane, as well as the maximum parallel component. The solution involves using dot product, Pythagorean theorem, and the fact that the normal and parallel vectors must add to the original vector.
Poto23

Homework Statement

Consider a plane with the outer normal unit vector of (1/√2, -1√2, 0). There is a force of (2,1,5) acting on the surface. What is the component of force normal and parallel to the plane? What is the maximum parallel component to the plane?

I would like to check my answers for the first two, but do not know how to find the maximum parallel component. I'm guessing since my direction is at a 45 degree angel, the maximum parallel component of the force should be given at the 45 degree angle?

Homework Equations

Dot product and Pythagorean theorem
Force = 2^2 +1^2 + 5^2 = √30

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the normal force to be (1/2, -1/2, 0) through doing the dot product of force and the unit vector, and then multiplying the scalar product by the unit vector again.
For the parallel component, I found the magnitude of the Force and the magnitude of the normal Force, and used Pythagorean theorem. I got √Force^2 - 1^2. = 29.98(1/√2, 1/√2, 0).

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
bump 10char

Poto23 said:

Homework Statement

Consider a plane with the outer normal unit vector of (1/√2, -1√2, 0). There is a force of (2,1,5) acting on the surface. What is the component of force normal and parallel to the plane? What is the maximum parallel component to the plane?

I would like to check my answers for the first two, but do not know how to find the maximum parallel component. I'm guessing since my direction is at a 45 degree angel, the maximum parallel component of the force should be given at the 45 degree angle?

Homework Equations

Dot product and Pythagorean theorem
Force = 2^2 +1^2 + 5^2 = √30

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the normal force to be (1/2, -1/2, 0) through doing the dot product of force and the unit vector, and then multiplying the scalar product by the unit vector again.

For the parallel component, I found the magnitude of the Force and the magnitude of the normal Force, and used Pythagorean theorem. I got √Force^2 - 1^2. = 29.98(1/√2, 1/√2, 0).

Thank you
Your normal vector is correct. To find the parallel vector, just use the fact that the normal and parallel vector must add to the original vector: (x, y, z)+ (1/2, -1/2, 0)= (2, 1, 5).

I will wait next time. Thank you for letting me know.

1. What is a force?

A force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is typically represented by an arrow indicating the direction and magnitude of the force.

2. What are parallel and perpendicular components of a force?

Parallel components of a force are the parts of the force that act in the same direction as a given reference line. Perpendicular components are the parts of the force that act at 90 degrees to the reference line.

3. Why is it important to find the parallel and perpendicular components of a force?

Finding the components of a force can help us understand the effect of that force on an object. It allows us to break down a complex force into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. How do you find the parallel and perpendicular components of a force?

To find the parallel component, we multiply the magnitude of the force by the cosine of the angle between the force and the reference line. To find the perpendicular component, we multiply the magnitude of the force by the sine of the angle between the force and the reference line.

5. Can you give an example of finding the parallel and perpendicular components of a force?

Sure, let's say we have a force of 10 Newtons acting at a 60 degree angle to a reference line. To find the parallel component, we would multiply 10 N by the cosine of 60 degrees (which is 0.5), giving us a parallel component of 5 N. To find the perpendicular component, we would multiply 10 N by the sine of 60 degrees (which is 0.87), giving us a perpendicular component of 8.7 N.