1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Points of Intersection by Substitution

1. Jul 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find any points of intersection of the graphs by the method of substitution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From the second equation I can solve for y:

Plug it into the first equation and simplify...

Multiply both sides by 2 to get rid of the fraction and get the radicals over to one side, square both sides

simplify and you get

I can find x=0 and that Is correct, but the other real root should be -3. I can graph the polynomial (x3-4x2-x+60) on my calculator and see that it has a root of -3 but how can I do it by hand? Any other way besides the rational roots test?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

That should be [itex]\pm[/itex].

Also, it might be simpler to solve for one variable, say y, in the first equation.
  4. Jul 20, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

x(y+1)- 2y+ 3= 0

x(y+1)= 2y- 3

Solve that for x and avoid square roots.

5. Jul 20, 2010 #4
    Ok, so.

You can sub that into the other equation and get

[tex]y(4y^3-8y^2-y+6)=0[/tex] Using rational roots test you can find that the root of (4y^3-8y^2-y+6) is 3/2 and of course y= 0 as well.

Is this what you had in mind? It is easier than having to do the test with all the factors of 60...
  6. Jul 20, 2010 #5

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's what both HallsOfIvy and I had in mind.
  7. Jul 20, 2010 #6

Homework Helper

I'm getting -30 inside the parentheses instead of +6. And a plus 8y2 instead of a minus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook