1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Projectile Motion range at an angle?

1. Feb 16, 2014 #1
    The original problem has very confusing wording without the picture so I reworded it for simplicity:

A toy cannon is placed on a ramp on a hill, pointing up the hill. With respect to the x-axis the hill has a slope of angle A and the ramp has a slope of angle B. If the cannonball has a muzzle speed of v, show that the range R of the cannonball (as measured up the hill, not along the x-axis) is given by:

R = [2v^2 (cos^2 (B))(tan(B) - tan(A))] / [g cos(A)]

The base equation we've derived for projectile range on a flat surface:
    R = (v^2 /g)sin(2θ­)
    from the parabolic equation:
    y = vt + (1/2)at^2 (where v is initial velocity, and v and a are in the y-direction)
    and setting y to 0.

I'm not completely sure how to correctly start this problem or how to properly take the angle of the slope of the hill into account, the trig is a bit overwhelming. Even a good shove in the right direction would help immensely!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2014 #2
    You are looking for an intersection of a straight line with a parabola. Do you know howto find it?

4. Feb 17, 2014 #3
    Yes, but were not analyzing it graphically we're analyzing it with motion equations and trig. Since I posted I was able to find an equation for time by finding the x and y-values of where the cannonball lands in terms of motion equations and relating them with the tangent of the slope of the hill, and solving for time. I then plugged T into Range = initial x velocity * time and combined the terms. My answer comes out to exactly what the original equation I want to derive is except it is over the term [g] not [g cos(A)]. I'm not sure where that cosine of the slope of the hill comes from.

5. Feb 17, 2014 #4
    You found the value of ##x## where the ball touches the hill. Well done! But you are asked to find the distance along the hill. It is very simply related with the the x-value you found. You are just a step away from the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted