1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding quantum number n of molecule

1. Oct 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A nitrogen molecule (N2) has a mass of 4.68 x 10-26 kg. It is confined to a onedimensional
    box of length L = 100 nm. What is the approximate quantum number n of
    the molecule if it has a kinetic energy equal to the thermal energy kBT at room
    temperature? What is n if it has a thermal energy corresponding to T = 1 K?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]E_n=n^2\frac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2mL^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well it seemed like it was just plug and chug, but I'm getting an answer that I don't like. I'm getting an answer for n = 1x1014. That seems way too big.

The units also don't make sense.
    According to the formula we have...
    [tex]j=\frac{j^2s^2}{kg(nm)^2}[/tex]

But after just seeing an example, I see that that same formula can have c2 in both the numerator and denominator to make the units work out. But I still have the problem of having a huge quantum number. Is that number supposed to be that big?

Thanks

edit: oh and also in that example, it seems as though they converted the mass into electron volts using e=mc2, so I did the same thing and found the quantum number to be even higher. Now I'm getting 1.58x1015. Is that a legitimate quantum number? I was thinking I would get small integers, like 1,2,3,4,etc.

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

n should not be so huge. You must be making a mistake in plugging in the numbers. Make sure all your numbers are in the same system of units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted