1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding ratio of masses of two blocks

1. May 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Two crates are stacked on top of each other on a horizontal floor. The coefficient of static friction between Box A and Box B is 0.6. The coefficient of static friction between Box A and the floor is 0.2. A force of 100 N is applied parallel to the floor on Box B. The boxes move together along the floor. The ratio of the mass of Box A to Box B is possibly
    1. 1) 5:1
    2. 2) 5:2
    3. 3) 4:1
    4. 4) 3:1
    5. 5) 1:2

2. Relevant equations

none so far
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Hi people. I was trying to figure out how to solve this problem, but I do not even have any hints of an idea so far. Could anyone please help me gets started?
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the boxes to move friction between A and B must be greater than between A and the floor.

Write equations for both and set up that inequality. Rearrange.

4. May 9, 2016 #3
    Why is this so?

5. May 9, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about how the applied force is transmitted to the lower box.

Drawing a FBD for the lower box may help.

6. May 9, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You posted one or two similar questions and they all depend on you understanding the forces acting on the lower box.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted