1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding reaction components and resultant reaction

1. Jan 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 12 m long uniform ladder, weighing 285 N, leans against the wall. The foot of the ladder is 6.5 m away from the wall. Determine the reaction components and the resultant reaction(magnitude & direction) if the coefficient of friction for static at the wall and the floor are 0.40 and 0.52 respectively.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    our prof. didn't tell us what is reaction components and resultant reaction so I can't start answering....

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did your professor tell you how to find the components of a vector?

Did your professor tell you what constitutes static equilibrium?

Do you have a textbook where some of these terms might be discussed?

4. Jan 26, 2015 #3
    yes....she taught us the components of a vector...regarding about the book...we only have a book about torque and there's no reaction components and the resultant reaction....

5. Jan 26, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what a book about torque is. Torque does not require a book-length treatment; it can be discussed fully in at most a chapter of a book.

Nevertheless, what about static equilibrium? What do you know about that? Have you ever made a free body diagram?

6. Jan 26, 2015 #5
    yes...I have a free body diagram....but I can't solve it because I don't know what to solve....

7. Jan 26, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, you have a ladder leaning against a wall.

What keeps the ladder in your free body from tipping over? You are also told that there is friction due to the contact of the ladder with the wall. What determines how much friction is developed by the wall?

A similar situation applies to the floor. What keeps the ladder from falling thru the floor? What about friction between the ladder and the floor?

8. Jan 26, 2015 #7
    FBD

Attached Files:

9. Jan 26, 2015 #8
    there's a number below the arrow...its.....285N

10. Jan 26, 2015 #9
    the question above is all I have.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted