Finding reaction components and resultant reaction

In summary, a 12 meter long ladder weighs 285 N. If the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the wall and the floor are 0.40 and 0.52 respectively, the resultant reaction would be:The ladder would lean against the wall with a force of 285 N.
leonheart

Homework Statement

A 12 m long uniform ladder, weighing 285 N, leans against the wall. The foot of the ladder is 6.5 m away from the wall. Determine the reaction components and the resultant reaction(magnitude & direction) if the coefficient of friction for static at the wall and the floor are 0.40 and 0.52 respectively.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

our prof. didn't tell us what is reaction components and resultant reaction so I can't start answering...

Physics news on Phys.org
Did your professor tell you how to find the components of a vector?

Did your professor tell you what constitutes static equilibrium?

Do you have a textbook where some of these terms might be discussed?

SteamKing said:
Did your professor tell you how to find the components of a vector?

Did your professor tell you what constitutes static equilibrium?

Do you have a textbook where some of these terms might be discussed?
yes...she taught us the components of a vector...regarding about the book...we only have a book about torque and there's no reaction components and the resultant reaction...

leonheart said:
yes...she taught us the components of a vector...regarding about the book...we only have a book about torque and there's no reaction components and the resultant reaction...
It's not clear what a book about torque is. Torque does not require a book-length treatment; it can be discussed fully in at most a chapter of a book.

Nevertheless, what about static equilibrium? What do you know about that? Have you ever made a free body diagram?

SteamKing said:
It's not clear what a book about torque is. Torque does not require a book-length treatment; it can be discussed fully in at most a chapter of a book.

Nevertheless, what about static equilibrium? What do you know about that? Have you ever made a free body diagram?
yes...I have a free body diagram...but I can't solve it because I don't know what to solve...

leonheart said:
yes...I have a free body diagram...but I can't solve it because I don't know what to solve...
Well, you have a ladder leaning against a wall.

What keeps the ladder in your free body from tipping over? You are also told that there is friction due to the contact of the ladder with the wall. What determines how much friction is developed by the wall?

A similar situation applies to the floor. What keeps the ladder from falling thru the floor? What about friction between the ladder and the floor?

FBD

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 571
there's a number below the arrow...its...285N

the question above is all I have...

1. What are the initial steps in finding reaction components and resultant reaction?

The initial steps in finding reaction components and resultant reaction involve identifying the reactants and products of the reaction, determining the balanced chemical equation, and calculating the stoichiometric coefficients.

2. How do you determine the limiting reactant in a reaction?

The limiting reactant in a reaction is determined by comparing the number of moles of each reactant to the stoichiometric coefficients in the balanced equation. The reactant with the smallest number of moles compared to its coefficient is the limiting reactant.

3. What is the purpose of finding the theoretical yield in a reaction?

The theoretical yield in a reaction is the maximum amount of product that can be produced based on the amount of limiting reactant. The purpose of finding the theoretical yield is to determine the efficiency of the reaction and to compare it to the actual yield.

4. How do you calculate the percent yield in a reaction?

The percent yield in a reaction is calculated by dividing the actual yield by the theoretical yield and multiplying by 100%. This value represents the efficiency of the reaction and can be used to make improvements or adjustments in future reactions.

5. What are some common sources of error when finding reaction components and resultant reaction?

Common sources of error when finding reaction components and resultant reaction include inaccuracies in measurements, impurities in reactants, and incomplete reactions. It is important to carefully follow procedures and use precise equipment to minimize these errors.