Finding Relative Velocity in Inertial Systems

In summary: So I need to solve for v/c first and then plug it in.In summary, the event occurs at x = 6 x 10^8 meters and S' at x' = 6 x 10^8 meters. The relative velocity of the systems is v = (6x10^8)(1-v/(3x10^8))^1/2 - 6x10^8.
Kunhee

Homework Statement

An event occurs in S at x = 6 x 10^8 meters and S' at x' = 6 x 10^8 meters. Find the relative velocity of the systems. Assume that S refers to an inertial system (x,y,z,t), and S' refers to an inertial system (x',y',z',t') moving along +x axis with speed v relative to S. The origins coincide at t = t' = 0.

Homework Equations

c = 3 x 10^8
Lorentz Factor = (1-(v/c)^2)^(-1/2)
x' = 1/LF ( x - vt)
t' = 1/LF ( t - vx / c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble because x' - x = 0 and t = 0 so the equations aren't working out.
x' = 1/LF ( x - vt )
1 = (1-(v/c)^2)^(-1/2) (1 - v(0))
1 = (1-(v/ 3x10^8)^2)^(-1/2)
(1-(v/ 3x10^8)^2)^1/2 = 1
1-(v/ 3x10^8)^2 = 1
-(v/ 3x10^8)^2 = 1 - 1 = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody says the event occurs at t = 0 or t' = 0.

Edit: Of course, there is no unique solution to this problem. There exists a solution for every possible inertial frame as ##x = x_0## and ##x' = x_0## defines two non-parallel lines in Minkowski space regardless of the relative velocity ##v## (unless ##v = 0## for which the statement is just trivial). In order to fix the relative velocity, you need to know the time of the event in at least one of the frames.

Last edited:
Hi Orodruin. Thanks for the reply.
The time for t' is 1 seconds. And then it asks for when t' is 4 seconds.

Could you help me set this up?

What does the inverse of the Lorentz transformation tell you?

The inverse (1-(v/c)^2) ^ 1/2 and is always less than 1 so there is time dilation? The clock should run slower for t' than for t.

Kunhee said:
The inverse (1-(v/c)^2) ^ 1/2 and is always less than 1 so there is time dilation? The clock should run slower for t' than for t.
That is not the inverse Lorentz transformation. That is the Lorentz factor.

The inverse of the Lorentz transformation tells me that the relative velocity of the systems are equivalent?

Kunhee said:
The inverse of the Lorentz transformation tells me that the relative velocity of the systems are equivalent?
No, I am asking you to use the inverse transform to relate the coordinates of the events.

x = (x' + vt') / (1-(v/c)^2)^1/2

6x10^8 = (6x10^8 + v(1)) / (1-(v/c)^2)^1/2

(6x10^8)(1-v/(3x10^8))^1/2 - 6x10^8 = v

How do I determine the t for the event occurring in S?

t = (t' + vx'/c^2) / (1-(v/c)^2)^1/2

t = (1 + (6.10^8)v / c^2) / (1-(v/(3x10^8))^1/2

Kunhee said:
x = (x' + vt') / (1-(v/c)^2)^1/2

6x10^8 = (6x10^8 + v(1)) / (1-(v/c)^2)^1/2

(6x10^8)(1-v/(3x10^8))^1/2 - 6x10^8 = v

How do I determine the t for the event occurring in S?
You don't nees to. You have one equation and one unknown.

Also, do not forget the units of all the quantities. Units are important.

Thanks a lot for your time.

If I solve for v, is that the answer then?
v = (6x10^8)(1-v/(3x10^8))^1/2 - 6x10^8
so I have to get the v on the right to the left.

Kunhee said:
Thanks a lot for your time.

So does this mean that the answer for this particular question is not a certain number but
an equation expressed in variables for v = ?
You have one algebraic equation in one unknown, v. So solve the equation. This is where the math comes in.

I see. Haven't done math in a while too.
I will give it a try. Thanks.

v = (6x10^8) (1-(v/c)^2)^1/2 - 6x10^8
I can't solve for v because squaring both sides cancel them out.
Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
My advice to you is to solve the equation algebraically first, and then plug in the numbers:
$$x=\frac{(x'+\frac{v}{c}(ct'))}{\sqrt{1-\left(\frac{v}{c}\right)^2}}$$
Solve for v/c.

Ah okay!

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object or body in relation to another object or reference point. It is the difference in velocities between the two objects.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of the reference point from the velocity of the moving object. This can be done by using vector addition or by using the formula v = v1 - v2, where v is the relative velocity, v1 is the velocity of the moving object, and v2 is the velocity of the reference point.

3. What is the importance of understanding relative velocity?

Understanding relative velocity is important in many areas of science and engineering, such as in the study of motion, collisions, and celestial mechanics. It is also crucial in fields like aeronautics and navigation, where the relative velocities of objects can greatly impact their trajectories and movements.

4. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. A negative relative velocity indicates that the objects are moving in opposite directions, while a positive relative velocity means they are moving in the same direction.

5. How does relative velocity differ from absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to a fixed reference point, while relative velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to another moving object or reference point. Absolute velocity is constant, while relative velocity can change depending on the reference point chosen.