Finding Rotational Energy and Acceleration of Decending Mass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
nvallettejr
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
1. A disk with radius of 0.3m and a mass of 4kg is free to rotate about an axle through its center. A cord wrapped around the circumference supports a weight with mass 5kg.

a) What is the acceleration of descending mass if it is released?

b) 5 seconds after release what is the rotational energy of the disk?



2. I disk = (1/2)MR2


3. I know that Idisk = (1/2)(4)(.3)2 is 0.18. After that I am lost.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw two free body diagrams, one for the disk and one for the hanging mass. Write Newton's 2nd Law pertinent to each FBD.
 
Okay that sounds right I have that done but how do we get the rotational energy after 5 seconds??
 
If you know the angular acceleration, you can get the rotational speed at t = 5 s from the kinematic equations and from that the rotational energy.