Finding rotational kinetic energy of a rolling cylinder without radius

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
Sheneron
Messages
360
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Rotational Kinetic Energy

Homework Statement



A solid cylinder of mass 14.0 kg rolls without slipping on a horizontal surface.
(a) At the instant its center of mass has a speed of 11.0 m/s, determine the translational kinetic energy of its center of mass.

Homework Equations


[tex]I_cm = \frac{1}{2}MR^2[/tex]
[tex]K_R = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I can't figure out how to find the moment of inertia without have a radius... any hints?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You won't need the radius. Hint: What does "rolls without slipping" imply?
 
That its moving forward and has translational kinetic energy? If that's not it, I do not know what it means.

Also, I found the translational kinetic energy (if that has to deal with the problem) and I am still stuck...
 
"Rolling without slipping" means that the translational and rotational speeds are matched so that the bottom surface doesn't slip with respect to the ground. That condition relates the translational speed to the rotational speed, such that [itex]v = \omega r[/itex].
 
Calculate the rotational KE in terms of the translational speed. (Apply the condition for rolling without slipping.)