Finding Rotational Kinetic Energy of Sphere on Ramp

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
joel amos
Messages
104
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If Inga, the Laboratory Assistant, rolls a spare head down a 4 m ramp because it was spherical and solid and too heavy at 4.5 kg at a speed of 4.5 m/s, what was its total kinetic energy?


Homework Equations


KE = (1/2) I ω^2
I = (2/5) MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution


Basically, I'm not sure how to solve this without the sphere's radius. Any help, solutions, or hints would be highly appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just go ahead with the algebra and you should find the radius cancels out. The rotational KE of a sphere is in fixed ratio to its linear KE, regardless of radius.
 
So does this look correct:

KE = (1/2)(4.5 kg)(4.5m/s)^2 + (1/2)(2/5)(4.5)r^2[(4.5m/s)/r]^2
KE = 6.75 J + 18.225 J
KE = 24.98 J
 
izelkay said:
Where'd that 6.75 J come from?
Hmm..I too am now wondering the same.

Is this better:

KE = 45.453 J + 18.225 J
KE = 63.69 J
 
joel amos said:
Hmm..I too am now wondering the same.

Is this better:

KE = 45.453 J + 18.225 J
KE = 63.69 J
Still a bit low. I get 45.56+18.23=63.79
 
haruspex said:
Still a bit low. I get 45.56+18.23=63.79

That's also what I'm getting. Joel, I think you're not plugging into your calculator correctly.