Finding shift in centre of gravuty

• Thread starter fizzyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift
In summary, the minimum lateral shift in the position of the center of gravity of a standing man carrying a 14 kg pail of water is 5 cm to the left. This is achieved by finding the center of gravity of the man and pail together, which is 31 cm from the original position of the man's center of gravity.
fizzyy

Homework Statement

Find the minimum lateral shift in position of the centre of gravity of a standing man whose mass is 80 kg, when is carrying a 14 kg pail of water. Assume that he wishes to have an equal load on each foot. How is this shift in his centre of gravity accomplished?

Homework Equations

F=0

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/1712/pailgg5.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start! With the pail, he has to have 58 kg on each foot. There's the weight of the bucket and the weight of the man, but since he's shifting, should I divide him in half? Like 40 kg on each foot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding the center of gravity of "man + pail". (It will be some distance to the left of the man's center of gravity.)

How do I do that? :redface:

fizzyy said:
How do I do that?
Treat the pail and the man as two separate point masses and find the center of mass of both. (All you care about is the horizontal position of the center of mass of both compared to the original position of the man's center of mass.)

If you don't know how to calculate the center of mass, read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/cm.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Aye, okay.

x = 14(0) + 80 (36) / 14 + 80
x = 31 cm

Thanks Doc Al.

Good. So how far must he shift to the side?

I believe.. 5 cm to his left? Hopefully I'm understanding this now.

Sounds good to me.

1. What is center of gravity?

The center of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of an object can be considered to act.

2. How do you find the center of gravity?

The center of gravity can be found by balancing the object on a pivot point and marking the position. This can also be calculated mathematically by finding the weighted average of the individual weights of the object's components.

3. Why is finding the center of gravity important?

Finding the center of gravity is important for understanding the stability and balance of an object. It is also crucial for designing structures and vehicles to ensure they are properly balanced and can safely support their own weight.

4. What affects the location of the center of gravity?

The location of the center of gravity is affected by the shape, size, and distribution of weight of an object. It can also be affected by external forces such as gravity and friction.

5. How does finding the center of gravity relate to physics?

Finding the center of gravity is an important concept in physics, as it helps to explain the behavior and motion of objects. It is also crucial in many engineering and design applications, as it allows for the creation of stable and functional structures.