1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding slit seperation in two-slit experiment

1. Nov 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Light from a He-Ne laser ([itex]\lambda[/itex] = 632.8nm) strikes a pair of slits at normal incidence, forming a double-slit interference pattern on a screen located 1.50 from the slits. The figure shows the interference pattern observed on the screen
    Walker.28.17.jpg

What is the slit separation?

2. Relevant equations

d*sin([itex]\theta[/itex]) = m*sin([itex]\lambda[/itex])
    y = L*sin([itex]\theta[/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution

I know i can solve this problem if i just find sin([itex]\theta[/itex]) but this is where i'm getting stuck.

Also, does the diagram tell me anything important? i thought maybe by dividing the 23mm by 4, i could get y (the distance between each bright fringe) but that proved to be fruitless when i tried solving for sinθ using 0.023/4 = 1.5sinθ but that didn't give me the correct answer for d.

nevermind. i figured this out.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The formula should be d*sin(θ) = m*λ.
    Draw your diagram with one line horizontal from the slits to a bright central maximum and another line at angle θ to the next bright spot, separated from the first by x. You can figure out x from the given diagram and then you can get the hypotenuse in the new diagram using the Pythagorean theorem. Use the formula to solve for the slit separation distance d.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook