Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,745 replies · 392K views
"A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval."

Samuel Clements (Mark Twain)

(thought this fit with the wearing leather banter!)

edit:

Had to get this one on as well.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Same author.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:

Wow. It's no wonder the right wing was afraid of him: openness, pay freezes for the senior white house staff, public servants actually serving the public interest, tighter restrictions on lobbyists. I think I like my new president.

“Every generation needs a new revolution.”
---- Thomas Jefferson
 
On The View today:
~
Joy Behar: I understand that you do a great Nixon impression
Blagojevich: [acknowledges with hesitation]... What do you want me to do?
Joy Behar: Say "I'm not a crook"
 
"I'm getting downsized."
- DaveC426913 Jan 27 2009

Oh wait. That's not a favourite quote, that's just my day so far.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
On The View today:
~
Joy Behar: I understand that you do a great Nixon impression
Blagojevich: [acknowledges with hesitation]... What do you want me to do?
Joy Behar: Say "I'm not a crook"
Priceless!

Did that really happen?

Edit: Looks like it did - skip to about 7 minutes in.

mbs8uw22DKM[/youtube]
 
Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
On The View today:
~
Joy Behar: I understand that you do a great Nixon impression
Blagojevich: [acknowledges with hesitation]... What do you want me to do?
Joy Behar: Say "I'm not a crook"

:smile: O...M...G... :smile:



Upon hearing that Blagojevich had said he had considered her for Obama's senate seat on Good Morning America:
Oprah Winfrey said:
If I had been watching from the treadmill, where I’m usually watching, I would have fallen off...
 
OmCheeto said:
Upon hearing that Blagojevich had said he had considered her for Obama's senate seat on Good Morning America:

I didn't realize that Obama had a senate seat on Good Morning America.
 
A college professor is someone who talks in other peoples sleep...Bergen Evans
Eating food with a knife and fork is like making love through an interpreter...Anon
Obesity is a fat accompli...........Len Elliott
 
Author John Updike, dies today at 76.

"I am very prone to accept all that the scientists tell us, the truth of it, the authority of the efforts of all the men and woman spent trying to understand more about atoms and molecules. But I can't quite make the leap of unfaith, as it were, and say, 'This is it. Carpe diem (seize the day), and tough luck.' "
 
Question: Have you ever thought of running for President?
Dolly Parton: We've had enough boobs in the White House.
 
One of the cheapest forms of entertainment is watching other people.

Someone in the local region talking about local economics.
 
~ If Rush [Limbaugh] wants Obama to fail, then he wants America to fail. So Rush and Bin Laden are on the same page. - Bill Maher
 
Last edited:
~ It doesn't matter if it [the stimulus package] works. Economists, once we come out of this, will argue forever what did it; or this did it, or this did it... The Republicans opposed FDR to a man, and five decades later they finally came back in Congress.
- Sam Donaldson
 
Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.
Niels Bohr
 
Has to be Chris Matthews

 
Last edited by a moderator:
"I love this country..."

(President Obama on Canada.)
 
From Time's Quote of the Week
http://www.time.com/time/quotes/0,26174,1882280,00.html

"These earmarks do not benefit me in any way, shape, manner."

Senator JUDD GREGG, after an AP investigation found he had steered taxpayer money to his home state's redevelopment of a former Air Force base even as he and his brother engaged in real estate deals there
 
Astronuc said:
From Time's Quote of the Week
http://www.time.com/time/quotes/0,26174,1882280,00.html

"These earmarks do not benefit me in any way, shape, manner."

Senator JUDD GREGG, after an AP investigation found he had steered taxpayer money to his home state's redevelopment of a former Air Force base even as he and his brother engaged in real estate deals there
Yes. There are some pretty pricey properties on that old Pease base, and I'm sure he didn't get a dime for himself.
 
... Republicans now are as close to irrelevant in Washington as we've been. We're kind of like eunuchs invited to a wild party at the Playboy mansion, you know. We get to watch, we have very detailed opinions about everything, but we're not participating...

Mike Murphy - Republican Strategist
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29453052/page/3/
 
Optimistic people are more like to recover their 401K investments than are pessimistic people.

Why? Studies show that optimistic people live longer. - CBS News report
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Optimistic people are more like to recover their 401K investments than are pessimistic people.

Why? Studies show that optimistic people live longer. - CBS News report

Woo-Hoo!
 
"I have mountains and valleys and rivers and oceans of questions about that, but now is not the time."
 
lisab said:
Woo-Hoo!

Optimism doesn't cost a dime
- Michael Bloomberg
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Optimism doesn't cost a dime
- Michael Bloomberg

Unless you actually have a job...and voted for Obama...(opps, wait - you said "a dime" - my mistake).
 
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
The man who let's a leader prescribe his course is a wreck being towed to the scrap heap.
Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.

-- Ayn Rand

In fact, many of my favorite quotes can be found within the pages of The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.