Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom
- Thread starter quddusaliquddus
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,745 replies · 392K views
Physics news on Phys.org
baywax
Gold Member
- 2,175
- 1
"I had a lot of dates but I decided to
stay home and dye my eyebrows".
Andy Warhol
stay home and dye my eyebrows".
Andy Warhol
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
In regards to the accusation that Obama is in bed with the press...
- Barack Obama“A few nights ago, I was up tossing and turning trying to figure exactly what to say. Finally, when I couldn’t get back to sleep, I rolled over and asked (NBC News anchor) Brian Williams what he thought,”
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Another Obamaism. What can I say? The guy is funny.
From a While House press conference.
From a While House press conference.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Press-Conference-by-the-President-6-23-09/Q Then I have a two-part question. (Laughter.) Is the public plan non-negotiable? And while I appreciate your Spock-like language about the logic of the health care plan... [half a paragraph follows]
THE PRESIDENT: I got you. You're pitching, I'm catching. I got the question. First of all, was the reference to Spock -- is that a crack on my ears? (Laughter.) All right, I just want to make sure. No?
Q I would never make fun of your ears, sir. (Laughter.)
Last edited by a moderator:
qntty
- 289
- 4
"A witty saying proves nothing."
--Voltaire
--Voltaire
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
- Mort Sahl's name for the movie about Wernher von Braun, I Aim For The Stars.I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London
http://www.claremontmckenna.edu/news/cmcmagazine/2008winter/mort_sahl.pdf
Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,664
Ivan Seeking said:Another Obamaism. What can I say? The guy is funny.
That was the first news conference I've ever read.
I thought it was funny that it was mentioned that the reporters ask him about his smoking at least once a month.
The topic came up at our local smoking hot spot at work about a month after he was elected. One of the Russian emigre's made a comment about the topic:
Irina said:I think it would be very very bad to tell the man with the biggest red button on the planet that he cannot have a cigarette when he is having a, how do you say it, a bad moment. I mean, it would be very very stupid.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,697
- 9,101
I think it would be very very bad to tell the man with the biggest red button on the planet that he cannot have a cigarette when he is having a, how do you say it, a bad moment. I mean, it would be very very stupid.
Does that Red button say 'EASY' on it?
OmCheeto
Gold Member
- 2,536
- 3,664
DaveC426913 said:
Does that Red button say 'EASY' on it?
Nyet!
It says "Matra of all Tzar bombas, ne ja jeba Kim Jung..."
Ooops! Now I'm trying to quote mommy dearest in the worst broken Russo-Serbian I've ever uttered:
Joan said:Don't foop with me fella's!
Sorry!
- 416
- 0
'life isn't fair, its just fairer than death.'
love this quote :D I forget who it was though
love this quote :D I forget who it was though
bucher
- 79
- 1
Dr. Seuss ones are my favorite:
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own.
And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go.”
“And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.”
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
"I'm afraid sometimes you'll play lonely games too, games you can't win because you'll play against you"
I'm sure there's more.
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own.
And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go.”
“And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.”
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
"I'm afraid sometimes you'll play lonely games too, games you can't win because you'll play against you"
I'm sure there's more.
jobyts
- 226
- 60
“Flags are bits of coloured cloth that governments use to first, shrink wrap people's brains and then as ceremonial shrouds to bury” - Arundhati Roy
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Semper ubi sub ubi
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,697
- 9,101
Ivan Seeking said:Semper ubi sub ubi
This is the only thing Mrs. DB uses from her Latin class days!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
- Peter UstinovParents are the bones upon which children sharpen their teeth.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
- Jon StewartI want a genetically engineered cow that can... [poop] Happy Meals
baywax
Gold Member
- 2,175
- 1
"erm"
someone on PF
someone on PF
baywax
Gold Member
- 2,175
- 1
"Wish you were beer"
One of Bart Simpson's T-shirts
One of Bart Simpson's T-shirts
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
- Antiques RoadshowThe Hindenburg had a smoking room. There were little cups filled with water for the ashes. A crew member was assigned to be sure that not one ash fell on the floor
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
- The Time TeamIf you go to a bar filled with archeologists, you might see a knock-down drag-out fight about whether one should us a triangular trowel, or a square trowel, at acheological dig sites.
jobyts
- 226
- 60
They’re talking about banning cigarette smoking now in any place that’s used by ten or more people in a week, which, I guess, means that Madonna can’t even smoke in bed.
- Bill Maher
- Bill Maher
colonelcrayon
- 88
- 0
10^50 is a long way from infinity.
- Daniel Shanks
Let's be clear. The planet is not in jeopardy. We are in jeopardy. We haven't got the power to destroy the planet - or to save it. But we might have the power to save ourselves.
- Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park)
Easy things should be easy, and hard things should be possible.
- Larry Wall
Now if you had a milkshake and I had a milkshake and I had a straw, you see watch it. My straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP!
- Daniel Plainview (There Will Be Blood)
What I cannot create, I do not understand.
- Richard Feynman
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possesses ourselves.
- Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings)
But I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
- Milo Minderbinder (Catch-22)
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three.
- Catch-22
I will tell you what I am talking about," he said. "Most kinds of power require a substantial sacrifice by whoever wants the power. There is an apprenticeship, a discipline lasting many years. Whatever kind of power you want. President of the company. Black belt in karate. Spiritual guru. Whatever it is you seek, you have to put in the time, the practice, the effort. You must give up a lot to get it. It has to be very important to you. And once you have attained it, it's your power. It can't be given away: it resides in you. It is literally the result of your discipline.
Now what is interesting about this process is that, by the time someone has acquired the ability to kill with his bare hands, he has also matured to the point where he won't use it unwisely. So that kind of power has a built-in control. The discipline of getting the you so that you won't abuse it.
- Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park)
You cannot see the future with tears in your eyes.
- Najavo proverb
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...
- Milton (Office Space)
- Daniel Shanks
Let's be clear. The planet is not in jeopardy. We are in jeopardy. We haven't got the power to destroy the planet - or to save it. But we might have the power to save ourselves.
- Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park)
Easy things should be easy, and hard things should be possible.
- Larry Wall
Now if you had a milkshake and I had a milkshake and I had a straw, you see watch it. My straw reaches across the room and starts to drink your milkshake. I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE! I DRINK IT UP!
- Daniel Plainview (There Will Be Blood)
What I cannot create, I do not understand.
- Richard Feynman
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possesses ourselves.
- Gandalf (The Lord of the Rings)
But I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
- Milo Minderbinder (Catch-22)
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three.
- Catch-22
I will tell you what I am talking about," he said. "Most kinds of power require a substantial sacrifice by whoever wants the power. There is an apprenticeship, a discipline lasting many years. Whatever kind of power you want. President of the company. Black belt in karate. Spiritual guru. Whatever it is you seek, you have to put in the time, the practice, the effort. You must give up a lot to get it. It has to be very important to you. And once you have attained it, it's your power. It can't be given away: it resides in you. It is literally the result of your discipline.
Now what is interesting about this process is that, by the time someone has acquired the ability to kill with his bare hands, he has also matured to the point where he won't use it unwisely. So that kind of power has a built-in control. The discipline of getting the you so that you won't abuse it.
- Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park)
You cannot see the future with tears in your eyes.
- Najavo proverb
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...
- Milton (Office Space)
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
- ColbertWhy don't they make Band-Aids for black people?
It never even occurred to me before! He also pointed out that "flesh" colored crayons are really "caucasion" colored.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
I have seen lots of flesh (as opposed to skin). Surprisingly, there is no discernible difference across races and species.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Whoops! Good point. But the color of the crayon was still that of "typical" caucasian skin.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
I must confess that I have never butchered a human (It's true!), but once you get past the obvious gross differences, most mammals are pretty easy to figure out as you take them apart, and muscle tissue fed oxidants via hemoglobin looks pretty darned similar on fine scales, no matter where it came from.
(tastes like chicken)
(tastes like chicken)
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
turbo-1 said:I must confess that I have never butchered a human (It's true!)
That is nothing to be ashamed of...
(tastes like chicken)
On the Marquesas Islands it was called long-pig.
- Jeffrey Dahmer to Lorena BobbitUm, hey, are you going to eat that?
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Ooh! that last one was a zinger.Ivan Seeking said:That is nothing to be ashamed of...
On the Marquesas Islands it was called long-pig.
- Jeffrey Dahmer to Lorena Bobbit
Similar threads
- KL7AJ
- · Replies 4 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 4
- Willis666
- · Replies 12 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 12
- flyingpig
- · Replies 12 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 12