Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom
- Thread starter quddusaliquddus
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,745 replies · 392K views
Physics news on Phys.org
xortan
- 76
- 1
"information is not knowledge"
"its a good thing for the government that people are stupid" - Adolf Hitler
"its not that I am smart i just stay with my problems longer" -Albert einstein
"let the bridges i burn light my way"
"its a good thing for the government that people are stupid" - Adolf Hitler
"its not that I am smart i just stay with my problems longer" -Albert einstein
"let the bridges i burn light my way"
fourier jr
- 764
- 13
What strikes one from the very first in Hilbert's works is the pure beauty of their imposing architecture; they do not give the impression of superficial "elegance," resulting from calculations cleverly carried out, but a much more profound aesthetic satisfaction, which flows from the perfect harmony between the end pursued and the means employed to achieve it. The latter are most often of a disconcerting simplicity; it is usually not a perfecting, however ingenious, of the methods that leads Hilbert to his great discoveries, but, on the contrary, a voluntary return to the beginning of the problem under consideration, and a freeing from the raw material, where no one had been able to see them, the fundamental principles which allowed him to take the "royal road" to the solution, vainly sought for until then.
- Jean Dieudonne
- Jean Dieudonne
MotoH
- 53
- 2
theneedtoknow said:I'm reading an electrodynamics textbook and in the preface there is a mention that the number of positive and negative charges in solid objects is extremely precisely balanced, and gives an example, that if there was an imbalance of even 1 part in 10^10, "a potato would explode violently".
How, exactly, would it explode?
mgb_phys said:Violently?
This made my weekend.
KrisOhn
- 195
- 2
~Mahatma GandhiYou must be the change you wish to see in the world.
~SenecaIt is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
- 12,179
- 186
One of my friends posted this on Facebook today:
"[I am] mourning the passing of a beautiful but apparently wrong idea."
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
Redbelly98 said:One of my friends posted this on Facebook today:
"[I am] mourning the passing of a beautiful but apparently wrong idea."
I'm a fan of http://failbooking.com/" also.
Last edited by a moderator:
IMP
- 33
- 1
You can either despair that the rose bush has thorns, or you can rejoice that the thorn bush has roses. ~ Anonymous
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
~ Vernon Sanders
It is better to keep ones mouth closed and appear an idiot, than open it and remove all doubt ~ Mark Twain
The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him. ~ G.K. Chesterton
The World Wide Web is the only thing I know of whose shortened form — www — takes twice as long to say than what it's short for. ~ Douglas Adams
I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. ~ Albert Einstein
Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination.
If I knew what I was doing, it wouldn't be called research. ~ Albert Einstein
If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. ~Unknown
'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have'. ~ Thomas Jefferson
"Americans grew tired of being thought dumb
by the rest of the world,
So we went to the polls and removed all doubt."
WISDOM - FROM MILITARY MANUALS:
'If the enemy is in range, so are you.'- Infantry Journal
'It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just
bombed.- U.S. Air Force Manual
'Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered
automatic weapons.'- General Mac Arthur
'You, you, and you .. Panic. The rest of you, come with me.'- U.S. Marine
Corps Gunnery SGT.
'Tracers work both ways.'- U.S. Army Ordnance
'Five second fuses only last three seconds.'- Infantry Journal
'Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once.'
'Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to do.' - Unknown Marine
Recruit
'If you see a bomb technician running, follow him.'- USAF Ammo Troop
'Though I fly through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am
at 80,000 feet and climbing.'
'You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3.'- Paul F.
Crickmore (test pilot)
'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'
'If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a
helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe.'
'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane you always have enough
power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'
'What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a
pilot screws up, the pilot dies; If ATC screws up... The pilot dies.'
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are:
'Why is it doing that?', 'Where are we?' And 'Oh S...!'
'Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully
complete the flight.'
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!'
'Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person
on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it.'
'The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill
you.'- Attributed to Max Stanley (Northrop test pilot)
'If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.'
'You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power
to taxi to the terminal.'
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.
~ Vernon Sanders
It is better to keep ones mouth closed and appear an idiot, than open it and remove all doubt ~ Mark Twain
The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him. ~ G.K. Chesterton
The World Wide Web is the only thing I know of whose shortened form — www — takes twice as long to say than what it's short for. ~ Douglas Adams
I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. ~ Albert Einstein
Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant. Together they are powerful beyond imagination.
If I knew what I was doing, it wouldn't be called research. ~ Albert Einstein
If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. ~Unknown
'A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have'. ~ Thomas Jefferson
"Americans grew tired of being thought dumb
by the rest of the world,
So we went to the polls and removed all doubt."
WISDOM - FROM MILITARY MANUALS:
'If the enemy is in range, so are you.'- Infantry Journal
'It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just
bombed.- U.S. Air Force Manual
'Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered
automatic weapons.'- General Mac Arthur
'You, you, and you .. Panic. The rest of you, come with me.'- U.S. Marine
Corps Gunnery SGT.
'Tracers work both ways.'- U.S. Army Ordnance
'Five second fuses only last three seconds.'- Infantry Journal
'Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once.'
'Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to do.' - Unknown Marine
Recruit
'If you see a bomb technician running, follow him.'- USAF Ammo Troop
'Though I fly through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am
at 80,000 feet and climbing.'
'You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3.'- Paul F.
Crickmore (test pilot)
'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'
'If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a
helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe.'
'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane you always have enough
power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'
'What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a
pilot screws up, the pilot dies; If ATC screws up... The pilot dies.'
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are:
'Why is it doing that?', 'Where are we?' And 'Oh S...!'
'Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully
complete the flight.'
'Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!'
'Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person
on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it.'
'The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill
you.'- Attributed to Max Stanley (Northrop test pilot)
'If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.'
'You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power
to taxi to the terminal.'
Last edited:
Andy
- 76
- 14
"Today, my girlfriend dumped me proclaiming she wanted someone more like her "Edward". I asked her who Edward was. She held up a copy her "Twilight" book. She was talking about a fictional vampire. FML"
No name united states
Is it bad to enjoy other peoples misery as much as i do?
No name united states
Is it bad to enjoy other peoples misery as much as i do?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
It has more things that will kill you than anywhere else
He goes on to mention that the world's 10 most poisonous snakes are found in Australia (drop for drop that's probably accurate, but other poisonous snakes may make up in volume for what the venom lacks in lethality).
Also he mentions, "five of it's creatures - the funnel web spider, box jellyfish, blue-ringed octopus, paralysis tick, and stonefish - are the most lethal of their type in the world."
Growing up, we never worried about such things. Most of those creatures are found along the northern coastal areas anyway.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
- meThe older I get, the dumber I used to be
I spontaneously popped off that one today and rather liked it.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 24,697
- 9,101
Ivan Seeking said:The older I get, the dumber I used to be
- me
I spontaneously popped off that one today and rather liked it.
Good one!
Goes along with:
Kids! Get away from your parents while you still know everything!
GeorginaS
- 236
- 1
Ivan Seeking said:The older I get, the dumber I used to be
- me
I spontaneously popped off that one today and rather liked it.
That's seriously excellent, Ivan.
IMP -- that's one terribly long list of favorites. Have you committed them all to memory?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,714
- 7,806
My walking mates and I were pondering the federal and state debt, deficits, unemployment, looming state budget cuts, and potential layoffs.
One made the comment - "the government just needs to become more efficient at doing nothing."
Pretty sad.
One made the comment - "the government just needs to become more efficient at doing nothing."
Pretty sad.
lombardoja
- 2
- 0
There is no substitute for a general lack of preparation
MotoH
- 53
- 2
"What aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?"
ThomasEdison
- 100
- 1
"Whoever despises himself nonetheless respects himself as one who despises. "
Friedrich Nietzsche
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
We have two current threads on the same topic, I have merged them.
Galteeth
- 69
- 1
Ivan Seeking said:The older I get, the dumber I used to be
- me
I spontaneously popped off that one today and rather liked it.
Doesn't that imply that you're dumb now, from the perspective of your future self?
Lancelot59
- 640
- 1
"Practice makes perfect. Too much drives you nuts."
-Me
I said that a while back in high school.
-Me
I said that a while back in high school.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Galteeth said:Doesn't that imply that you're dumb now, from the perspective of your future self?
Surely you don't mean to suggest that the learning never stops?
However, anyone who is familiar with Saturday Night Live's, Middle-Age Man, would know that we peak during our middle-age years. We are old enough to know how the world works and young enough to remember.
I tried to find a clip, but no luck.
Lancelot59
- 640
- 1
Two more quotes I like are:
Save trees, wipe your butt with an owl
and
Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up!
Save trees, wipe your butt with an owl
and
Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up!
ƒ(x)
- 327
- 0
"The things you take for granted are the most important" -anon
"Education never ends." -S.H.
"Education never ends." -S.H.
jobyts
- 226
- 60
"We have two current threads on the same topic, I have merged them." - Evo
Lancelot59
- 640
- 1
ƒ(x) said:"The things you take for granted are the most important"
Totally true.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
- 1,222
- 23
Reshma said:"Expect the worst from others, and you will never be disappointed." - Rat, Pearls before Swine
Quoted for truth. Those are words to live by.
GRB 080319B
- 107
- 0
"There is a growing sense that the properties of the universe are best described not by the laws that govern matter but by the laws that govern information."
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24759/"
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24759/"
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/03/AR2010030300672.html'Smoking killed me' [sign placed on hearse, grave]
He said before he died at age 85 in February that he wanted the sign to serve as a warning to young people about the dangers of tobacco smoking.
Last edited by a moderator:
leroyjenkens
- 621
- 49
Ivan Seeking said:http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/03/AR2010030300672.html
Sorry, I shouldn't laugh, but the irony was too much.
The smoking still killed him, regardless of how old he lived to be.
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
leroyjenkens said:The smoking still killed him, regardless of how old he lived to be.
That isn't clear by any means. The reports only stated that he smoked during his youth. The fact is that correlation does not imply causation; esp when it happened so many years ago. For example, my grandmother died of cirrhoris of the liver, but she never drank, and an aunt died from emphysema, but she never smoked.
Similar threads
- KL7AJ
- · Replies 4 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 4
- Willis666
- · Replies 12 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 12
- flyingpig
- · Replies 12 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 12