Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,745 replies · 392K views
Ivan Seeking said:
- The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry; Jon Ronson

This suggests that we have four psychopaths in the Senate, seventeen in the House of Representitives, and had one or two as President.

Sounds like a fun political thread - it's a long weekend?:smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder on marriage said:
Congratulations. Just remember that it takes commitment. Marriage is an institution and you should be committed to an institution.
-----
 
"Face is the natural abstraction of unity in being, the capital of being and the crown upon your head."
 
Ivan Seeking said:
- The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry; Jon Ronson

This suggests that we have four psychopaths in the Senate, seventeen in the House of Representitives, and had one or two as President.

If that's accurate, that's terrifying, but it sure does explain a lot of things.
 
"Three is a crowd and two is none" - Oscar Wilde :D

"Never talk disrespectfully of society. That's for people who can't get into do" - Oscar Wilde

"Life sucks. Then you die" - Unknown
 
Monster92 said:
"Three is a crowd and two is none" - Oscar Wilde :D

"Never talk disrespectfully of society. That's for people who can't get into do" - Oscar Wilde

"Life sucks. Then you die" - Unknown
The second one is from the play "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Wilde
Wilde said:
Never speak disrespectfully of Society, Algernon. Only people who can't get into it do that.
I couldn't find the first one.
 
Jimmy Snyder said:
The second one is from the play "The Importance of Being Earnest" by Wilde

I couldn't find the first one.

OMG! You're awesome. The first quote was from Algernon too from the importance of being earnest it's somewhere in the beginning. That book is so funny!
 
Monster92 said:
OMG! You're awesome. The first quote was from Algernon too from the importance of being earnest it's somewhere in the beginning. That book is so funny!
Got it.
Wilde said:
You don't seem to realize, that in married life three is company and two is none.

My favorite line from that play:
Wilde said:
Oh, flowers are as common here, Miss Fairfax, as people are in London.
 
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

--attributed to several people
 
What you are shouts so loudly that I cannot hear what you say < Emerson>
 
can someone remind me what that quote was by a physicist that says something like skipping the easy stuff at the beginning of a book is worse that skipping the hard stuff at the end?
 
fourier jr said:
can someone remind me what that quote was by a physicist that says something like skipping the easy stuff at the beginning of a book is worse that skipping the hard stuff at the end?

I don't know, but I get the point, and it's a good one.

"...in the Twilight there is no difference between the absence of darkness and the absence of light." (English translation, Sergei Lukyanenko)
 
Here's one I heard on definitely Not The Opera:

"Men use love to get sex, and women use sex to get love."

When you think about it from a biological standpoint it actually makes sense.
 
lisab said:
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".
--attributed to several people

:biggrin:

(This should be the byline of the S&D forum...)
 
DaveC426913 said:
:biggrin:

(This should be the byline of the S&D forum...)

Except that it is explicitly wrong. The plural of anecdote can indeed be data, but not scientific data.
 
I will never forget the carefree days of kindergarten...
- from my nephew's 6th grade graduation speech

:smile:!
 
Ivan Seeking said:
- from my nephew's 6th grade graduation speech

:smile:!

That is excellent! :smile: Did some one get it on video?
 
Ivan Seeking said:
- from my nephew's 6th grade graduation speech

:smile:!

That kid is either a budding genius, or in desperate need of prozac! Possibly both...

“The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country.” (Oppenheimer)
 
Norman said:
Did some one get it on video?

Obviously you don't know his mother. :biggrin:
 
Favorite quote (Not my own): "I don't like that Raymond"
And (also not my own): "Head, move, now!"
 
"The human rectum is almost nightmarishly elastic..." -Patton Oswalt
 
I want to know all Gods thoughts; all the rest are just details.
Albert Einstein

Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.
Albert Einstein
 
A bumper sticker I recently bought...

Stop using my name to justify your bad decisions - God

(no idea who really came up with it, but I was amused nonetheless)
 
I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it.
- Jack Handey
 
Om's beer cozy* said:
I don't repeat gossip, so listen carefully!


*per wiki: aka beer koozie, cozy, coosie, hugger, huggie, can cooler, beer sleeve, stubby holder.
 
How come if alcohol kills millions of brain cells, it never killed the ones that made me want to drink?
Unknown
 
Chris Paine said:
You can't kill an idea whose time has come.

Just read this today. Seems like such a truism, that there must have been someone in the past that said it before him.

google google google

Here's one I found that's pretty close:

Victor Hugo said:
There is only one thing stronger than all the armies of the world: and that is an idea whose time has come.

Actually, there are a lot of great http://www.agingandcreativity.com/Great_Quotes.html" .

I think I love them all.

John Cage said:
I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

Wait!

Who threw this one in there?

Groucho Marx said:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

:biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today there is real danger that the American Dream
will become the Forgotten Dream.
For freedom is not the right to do as one pleases,
but the opportunity to please to do what is right.
The Founding Fathers sought freedom . . .
Not from law
but freedom in law;
Not freedom from government—
but freedom in government;
Not freedom from speech—
but freedom in speech;
Not freedom from the press—
but freedom in the press;
Not freedom from religion—
but freedom in religion.
We need to ponder these things today.
Rev. Peter Marshall ca. 1946-1949 His sermon on the American Dream seems relevant and timely today even if one does not share his theology.

http://www.lectioecclesia.com/Marshall,-Peter-on-National-Confession,-The-American-Dream.php

Excerpts It's an excellent book about an excellent person.
 
Last edited by a moderator: