1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Solution to cos(x*L)=x

1. Oct 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to find the intersection point of y=cos(x*L) and y=x. I need the solution in terms of pi and L and only need the x component of the intersection point. I think the solution will be in the form of x = some_number*pi/L

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the L in cos(x*L) just compresses the cosine wave so that instead of the period being 2*pi it is 2*pi/L.
    I also know that y=x is simply a 45 degree line.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I plotted y=cos(x) and y = x and found this intersection point to be 0.235*pi.
    Then, I tried to plot y=cos(x*L) but can't seem to find a tool to actually give me this plot because L is a variable.
    I know the actual intersection point will depend on L, but that's OK because I need the result in terms of L.
    I tried to use x = 0.235*pi/L as the solution but that fails because only the cosine wave is compressed by L, not the y=x line. For example, if L=2, the result is NOT 0.235*pi/2 = 0.1175*pi. Instead it would be 0.1639*pi.

I think I am so close, but can't make the final step.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2017 #2
    You're not as close as you think because there is no closed expression for the solution of cos(Lx)-x=0. All you can do is numerics. Be careful about multiple solutions.

4. Oct 9, 2017 #3
    That's discouraging. Here's a hand plot I did. Yes, there are multiple solutions, but there's only one that I'm interested in (shown in the sketch).
    i4sHlgU.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Oct 9, 2017 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

We can make a 3rd order estimate by writing
    $$\cos(xL)\approx 1-\frac 12 (xL)^2$$
    after which we can solve the quadratic equation.
    Similarly we can make a 5th order estimate.
    Or otherwise we can use the Newton-Raphson algorithm to find the intersection for specific values of L.

6. Oct 9, 2017 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have EXCEL (or even other, open-source spreadsheets) you can use the Solver tool to get a numerical solution when a numerical value of L is known.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted