Finding Solutions in Natural Numbers for x^2+y^2=4z^2 and x^2+3y^2=4z^2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
oszust001
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
How can I solve that type of equation:
[tex]x^2+y^2=4z^2[/tex] or [tex]x^2+3y^2=4z^2[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Both of those, so far as I know, have infinite solutions.
 
oszust001 said:
How can I solve that type of equation:
[tex]x^2+y^2=4z^2[/tex] or [tex]x^2+3y^2=4z^2[/tex]
Given any values of x and y, we could then solve for z so these have an infinite number of solutions. Since you are asking for solutions in natural numbers, you could treat them as variations on the Pythagorean theorem and use the formulas for producing integer solutions to [itex]x^2+ y^2= z^2[/itex]: given any two integers, m and n, then [itex]x= m^2- n^2[/itex], [itex]y= 2mn[/itex], and [itex]z= m^2+ n^2[/itex], satisfy [itex]x^2+ y^2= z^2[/itex]. You would need to exempt some values of m and n to allow for the "3" and "4" coefficients.
 
Last edited by a moderator: