Finding speed -- A child on his toboggan

In summary, the child on a toboggan with a mass of 40kg is pulled by his father with a force of 240N at an angle of 30° on an ice track. The cord between the father and child makes an angle of 20° with the track. The system is moving at a constant velocity and the equations ΣFext=ma and Vf^2-Vi^2=2ad are used to determine the acceleration, force of friction, normal reaction, and speed of the child after covering a distance of 5m. With an acceleration of 0m/s^2, the force of friction is 25.52N and the normal reaction is 264.32N. Since
Jeanclaud

Homework Statement

A child on his toboggan is pulled by his father with a force F of value F=240N,on a ice track making an angle α=30° With the horizontal.the cord that the father is holding makes an angle β=20° With the track.assuming that the system(child,toboggan) has a mass of M=40Kg and is moving with a constant velocity, take g=10m/s^2
1.determine the acceleration of the system
2.determine the value of force of friction
3.determine the value of normal reaction of the plane on the system.
4. Find the speed of the child after covering a distance of 5m.

Homework Equations

ΣFext=ma
Vf^2-Vi^2=2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

1.a=0m/s^2
2.Fr=25.52N
3.N=264.32N
My problem was with part 4 if a=0 so it is type of motion is URM how should I get the speed without knowing the time?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much does speed change over time if acceleration is zero? I mean, this presumes that the father doesn't let go of the cord...

gneill said:
How much does speed change over time if acceleration is zero? I mean, this presumes that the father doesn't let go of the cord...
He didn't let go of the cord, I didn't mention that.

1. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance / time. This means that to find the speed, you need to divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. How do you measure the distance traveled by the toboggan?

The distance traveled by the toboggan can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. Simply measure the length of the path that the toboggan traveled.

3. Can the speed of the toboggan be affected by external factors?

Yes, the speed of the toboggan can be affected by external factors such as the slope of the hill, the friction of the snow, and the weight of the child on the toboggan.

4. How can we improve the accuracy of our speed calculation?

To improve the accuracy of our speed calculation, we can take multiple measurements at different points along the path and then calculate the average speed. This will help account for any variations in the speed due to external factors.

5. Is it important to consider the safety of the child when finding the speed?

Yes, it is important to consider the safety of the child when finding the speed. It is crucial to ensure that the child is wearing appropriate safety gear and that the toboggan is used in a safe and controlled environment.