Finding Speed and Direction of Relative Motion on a Moving Ship

  • Thread starter Thread starter undrcvrbro
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Vector
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
undrcvrbro
Messages
133
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A child walks due east on the deck of a ship at 1 miles per hour.
The ship is moving north at a speed of 4 miles per hour.

Find the speed and direction of the child relative to the surface of the water.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I've already found the magnitude. But now I can't find the direction.

They want:

"The angle of the direction from the north = "

What does that mean? I've solved it using the inverse tangent for both angles of the triangle and apparently neither is right. So maybe it's even simpler than I think?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
undrcvrbro said:

Homework Statement


A child walks due east on the deck of a ship at 1 miles per hour.
The ship is moving north at a speed of 4 miles per hour.

Find the speed and direction of the child relative to the surface of the water.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I've already found the magnitude. But now I can't find the direction.

They want:

"The angle of the direction from the north = "

What does that mean? I've solved it using the inverse tangent for both angles of the triangle and apparently neither is right. So maybe it's even simpler than I think?
What did you get for the angle relative to north? It should be somewhere between 10 and 20 degrees east of north.
 
Mark44 said:
What did you get for the angle relative to north? It should be somewhere between 10 and 20 degrees east of north.
I got 14.03624347...in radians .2449786631(exact enough for you?:-p)...does that sound about right?
 
undrcvrbro said:
I got 14.03624347...in radians .2449786631(exact enough for you?:-p)...does that sound about right?

Your first value agrees with mine. I didn't calculate it in radians.
 
Mark44 said:
Your first value agrees with mine. I didn't calculate it in radians.
Okay, cool. Thanks Mark, for all the help this morning(it's 2:30 here in Ohio). I can now begin my Materials and Energy Balances homework!