Finding the Speed and Direction of a Woman on a Moving Ship

  • Thread starter Thread starter dGasim
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relative Vectors
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 12K views
dGasim
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A woman walks due west on the deck of a ship at 3 mi/h. The ship is moving north at a speed of 23 mi/h. Find the speed and direction of the woman relative to the surface of the water. (Round your answers to one decimal place.)

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


First I drew the picture:
EDIT: Attachment

Then I solved the relative velocity formula:
[itex]v_{w/g} = v_{s/g} + v_{w/s}[/itex] = 23 + 3 = 26mi/h

Which went wrong, so I made another attempt:
[itex]\sqrt{23^2 + 3^2} = 23.2[/itex]

And i don't know how to find the angle. Should I do it like arctan(23/3) ?

Thanks in advance,
Gasim Gasimzada
 
Attachments
  • Untitled__.jpg
    Untitled__.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 862
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gasim! :wink:
dGasim said:
A woman walks due west on the deck of a ship at 3 mi/h.
…
[itex]v_{w/g} = v_{s/g} + v_{w/s}[/itex] = 23 + 3 = 26mi/h

Your formula is correct :smile:, but of course it's a vector formula, so you must always use vector addition (so your second try is the correct one).
And i don't know how to find the angle. Should I do it like arctan(23/3) ?

Yes, use arctan. :smile:
 
dGasim said:

Homework Statement


A woman walks due west on the deck of a ship at 3 mi/h. The ship is moving north at a speed of 23 mi/h. Find the speed and direction of the woman relative to the surface of the water. (Round your answers to one decimal place.)

Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


First I drew the picture:
EDIT: Attachment

Then I solved the relative velocity formula:
[itex]v_{w/g} = v_{s/g} + v_{w/s}[/itex] = 23 + 3 = 26mi/h
Since the vectors aren't in the same direction, you can't simply add their magnitudes.
dGasim said:
Which went wrong, so I made another attempt:
[itex]\sqrt{23^2 + 3^2} = 23.2[/itex]
This is fine.
dGasim said:
And i don't know how to find the angle. Should I do it like arctan(23/3) ?
Yes. Depending on the mode your calculator is in, you'll get an answer in degrees or radians. To answer the question of the problem, you will probably need to say something like "10 degrees north of west" or "at a heading of 280 degrees." These are just examples, though.
dGasim said:
Thanks in advance,
Gasim Gasimzada
 
I have gotten the first part of the question right. But when it comes to second one. I did arctan(23/3) which gave me 82.6*. But I am not sure of the direction in this case because the question wants the input as "direction N _____ *W"

btw. * = degrees in this case.
 
Hi Gasim! :smile:

(have a degree: ° :wink:)
dGasim said:
… "direction N _____ *W" …

the number you have to fill in is the number of degrees from North to the direction …

the direction is that number of degrees West of North :wink:
 
Thanks a lot! Got every question right because of you guys! :)