1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding missing components given speed and direction.

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    #26 (on attachment). The speed of an object and the direction in which it moves constitute a vector quantity known as the velocity. An ostrich is running at a speed of 17.0 m/s in a direction of 68 degrees NW. What is the magnitude of the ostrich's velocity component that is directed (a) due north and (b) due west?

2. Relevant equations
    R2 = A2 + B2 – 2ABcosθ
    x: (hyp)(cosθ)
    y: (hyp)(sinθ)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea what do to. This is my summer assignment for ap physics and ive not taken pre-cal or cal or physics before so im confused. i have a couple more problems like this that im confused in, but thats a different thread..

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2
    This uses right triangle trig. If you plot the velocity vector of the ostrich on a graph, starting at the origin, can you figure out where it will end? You know the hypotenuse and you're looking for the x- and y-components.

4. Jul 19, 2011 #3
    ohh. now i feel stupid that i didn't think of that before.

5. Jul 19, 2011 #4
    should i round to nearest tenth or hundredth?

6. Jul 20, 2011 #5
    tenth will be ok

7. Aug 17, 2011 #6
    so would the units be m/s or not since it asks for magnitude??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook