Finding missing components given speed and direction.

In summary, the velocity of an object is a vector quantity that combines speed and direction. In this problem, an ostrich running at 17.0 m/s in a direction of 68 degrees NW has a velocity component of approximately 16.6 m/s directed due north and 7.7 m/s directed due west. The magnitude of the ostrich's velocity is approximately 18.1 m/s. The solution can be found by using right triangle trigonometry to calculate the x- and y-components of the velocity vector. When rounding, the nearest tenth is sufficient and the units are in m/s.
bling-bling

Homework Statement

#26 (on attachment). The speed of an object and the direction in which it moves constitute a vector quantity known as the velocity. An ostrich is running at a speed of 17.0 m/s in a direction of 68 degrees NW. What is the magnitude of the ostrich's velocity component that is directed (a) due north and (b) due west?

Homework Equations

R2 = A2 + B2 – 2ABcosθ
x: (hyp)(cosθ)
y: (hyp)(sinθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what do to. This is my summer assignment for ap physics and I've not taken pre-cal or cal or physics before so I am confused. i have a couple more problems like this that I am confused in, but that's a different thread..

Attachments

• AP PHYSICS Summer Assignment 2011-2012.pdf
    514.1 KB · Views: 608
Physics news on Phys.org
This uses right triangle trig. If you plot the velocity vector of the ostrich on a graph, starting at the origin, can you figure out where it will end? You know the hypotenuse and you're looking for the x- and y-components.

ohh. now i feel stupid that i didn't think of that before.

should i round to nearest tenth or hundredth?

bling-bling said:
should i round to nearest tenth or hundredth?

tenth will be ok

so would the units be m/s or not since it asks for magnitude??

1. What is the formula for finding missing components given speed and direction?

The formula for finding missing components given speed and direction is:

Component = Speed x cos(direction) for the x-component, and Component = Speed x sin(direction) for the y-component.

2. Can you explain how to use the formula to find the missing components?

To use the formula, plug in the given values for speed and direction and then solve for the missing component. Remember to use the cosine function for the x-component and the sine function for the y-component.

3. What units should the speed and direction be in for the formula to work?

The speed should be in units of distance per unit time (e.g. meters per second). The direction should be in units of degrees or radians.

4. Is there a different formula for finding missing components if the speed and direction are given in vector form?

No, the formula is the same whether the speed and direction are given in vector form or as individual values. Just make sure to use the correct units for the given values.

5. Can this formula be used for any type of motion, or only linear motion?

This formula can only be used for linear motion. For other types of motion, such as circular motion, the formula will be different.