Finding speed and distance of a train

In summary, the conversation discusses a train with a mass of 5.77E+6 kg and a speed of 99.4 km/hr. The engineer applies brakes with a net force of 1.11E+6 N for 26.9 seconds. The question asks for the new speed of the train and the distance it travels during this period. The equations used are f=ma, V=Vo+at, and X=Xo+(Vo)(t)+.5at^2. The attempted solution involves finding the acceleration, using it to find the new velocity, and then using that to find the distance traveled. However, the attempts were unsuccessful and the
keevo
1. Homework Statement

A train has a mass of 5.77E+6 kg and is moving at 99.4 km/hr. The engineer applies the brakes, which results in a net backward force of 1.11E+6 N on the train. The brakes are held on for 26.9 s.

What is the new speed of the train?

How far does it travel during this period?

mass of train: 5,770,000 kg

speed of train: 99.4 km/hr (i converted it to m/s and got 27.611 m/s)

Backwards net force of: 1,110,000 N

Brakes held for: 26.9 s

2. Homework Equations

f=ma?

V=Vo+at?

X=Xo+(Vo)(t)+.5at^2?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly new to physics and don't really know what I'm doing, anyways...first i used f=ma
and got a=.192 then i used that in the second equation and got V=1,110,005.165 N and then I plugged that into the third equation and got 29859069.4666 M but it said i was wrong :/.

Can someone please guide me through this problem? it would be much appreciated

-Thanks in advance!

Ok, so i tried it again and i was confident that i was correct.

i used f=ma to get a=.192

i then used a in the second equation ( V=27.611+.192(26.9)) to get a Velocity of 32.7758

i then used the 3rd equation to get a distance of 812.20246 m but it said it was wrong again.

can you help me clarify or show me where i went wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How is the speed of a train determined?

The speed of a train is determined by measuring the distance it travels in a certain amount of time. This can be done using a variety of methods, such as using a speedometer or tracking the time it takes to travel between two points.

2. How do you calculate the distance a train has traveled?

The distance a train has traveled can be calculated by multiplying its speed by the time it has been traveling. This equation is known as distance = speed x time.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a train?

The speed of a train can be affected by a variety of factors, including the condition of the tracks, the weight and length of the train, the power of the locomotive, and external factors such as weather conditions.

4. How can you measure the speed and distance of a train accurately?

To measure the speed and distance of a train accurately, precise instruments and methods must be used. This can include using radar guns, GPS tracking, or specialized equipment designed specifically for measuring train speed and distance.

5. Can the speed and distance of a train be calculated in real-time?

Yes, with the advancements in technology, it is possible to calculate the speed and distance of a train in real-time. This is especially useful for monitoring train schedules and ensuring safety on the tracks.