Finding Speed of Neutron after Decay

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 5K views
KE of He5 would be 0 since the problems states it at rest before the reaction.
KE of He4 is given to us.
KE of Neutron could be found using KE=mv2/2. The mass is given to us in the question, and we already found velocity.
Ok, so what do i do when I found the KE? Am i going to be using E=mc2?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bob dobilina said:
KE of He5 would be 0 since the problems states it at rest before the reaction.
KE of He4 is given to us.
KE of Neutron could be found using KE=mv2/2. The mass is given to us in the question, and we already found velocity.
Ok, so what do i do when I found the KE? Am i going to be using E=mc2?
Yes.
 
haruspex said:
Yes.
Could I use the total kinetic energy to find the mass defect by manipulating e=mc2? If so, once I find the mass defect, can I add that mass to the mass of He4 and the neutron to get the mass of He5?
 
bob dobilina said:
Could I use the total kinetic energy to find the mass defect by manipulating e=mc2? If so, once I find the mass defect, can I add that mass to the mass of He4 and the neutron to get the mass of He5?
Yes.