What Is the Speed of a Neutron in Thorium Decay?

  • Thread starter Thread starter songoku
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Neutron Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
songoku
Messages
2,521
Reaction score
395

Homework Statement


U → Th + α

The speed of α = 6 x 105 m/s. Find the speed of neutron of Thorium!


Homework Equations


E = mc2

momentum


The Attempt at a Solution


I am pretty sure there is missing information, maybe the mass of α and Th. I just want to ask the way to solve it.

I thinking using the conservation of momentum. Before U decays, the total momentum is zero, so the total momentum of Th and should be zero. By knowing the mass of Th and α, we can find the speed of Th.

Is my idea correct?

And what about the speed of neutron of Thorium? Is it the same as speed of Thorium?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I find it hard to believe the wording is "Find the speed of neutron of Thorium". Could you check ?
 
BvU said:
I find it hard to believe the wording is "Find the speed of neutron of Thorium". Could you check ?

Actually I got it from my friend and he said he was sure that's the exact question

Thanks
 
songoku said:

Homework Equations


E = mc2
I think Albert E got that right, but if you want to do a momentum balance, that's not a relevant equation!

I was thinking of using the conservation of momentum. Before U decays, the total momentum is zero, so the total momentum of Th and α should be zero. By knowing the mass of Th and α, we can find the speed of Th.
Is my idea correct?
Looks good to me. If you write it down nicely, perhaps the masses themselves are not as important as their ratio. Any "missing information, maybe the mass of α and Th" is easily found (decay chain, or: Thorium series).

And I still can't make head or tail (i.e. can't make sense) out of "speed of neutron of Thorium"
 
BvU said:
I think Albert E got that right, but if you want to do a momentum balance, that's not a relevant equation!

Yes, I am just guessing some equations related to the question :shy:

Looks good to me. If you write it down nicely, perhaps the masses themselves are not as important as their ratio. Any "missing information, maybe the mass of α and Th" is easily found (decay chain, or: Thorium series).

And I still can't make head or tail (i.e. can't make sense) out of "speed of neutron of Thorium"

The equation I think is:
mTh x vTh = mα x vα

Yes, the ratio of their masses can be used to solve the equation. I just need to look for the ratio or the mass at the booklet.

I am also not sure about the speed of neutron, maybe it is speed of Th
Thanks
 
Last edited: