1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding speed of the car, kinematics

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    This is an even numbered problem from Cutnell and Johnson 8 edition....Can somebody tell me if the answer is correct? I spent a good 30 minutes dissecting the problem, so here's to hoping I am right :)

A child operating a radio-controlled model car on a dock accidentally steers it off the edge. The car's displacement 1.1 s after leaving the dock has a magnitude of 7.0 m. What is the car's speed at the instant it drives off the edge of the dock?

Given
    t = 1.1 s
    Voy = 0 m/s
    The displacement after 1.1 seconds is 7 meters. This means, from the point where it fell off the edge of the dock, to its position after 1.1 seconds, the distance between the two points is 7 meters.

We are trying to find Vox which is the same thing as Vx because there's no acceleration in the x-direction.

My Work
    Voy = 0 m/s

Find Vy when t = 1.1 seconds passes

Vy = Voy + at = 0 - (-9.8*1.1)
    Vy = -10.78 m/s

Find the distance it has fallen in the y-direction during the 1.1 seconds.
    y = Voyt + 0.5at2 = 0.5(-9.8)(1.12)
    y = -5.929 meters

Using A2 + B2 = C2
    5.9292 + B2 = 72
    B = 3.72114 meters <----this is the distance in the x direction that it travels during 1.1 seconds

So Vx = B/t = 3.72114/1.1
    Vx = 3.383 m/s

PRETTY PLEASE LET THIS BE CORRECT *fingers crossed*

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, Jehan,

your work is correct and nice, but why have you calculated vy? It was not needed.

ehild

4. Sep 24, 2011 #3
    Hi!
    It seems like the reasoning and execution is flawless, good job!
    One point though, just for future reference: there's alot to be said for rounding off, on occasion.
    You have your v_y there, at 5.92.... It's not unreasonable to bring to ~6...
    Daniel

5. Sep 24, 2011 #4
    thank you both! it feels so stressful not knowing whether it is right or wrong. having both your approval puts me at ease! i can finally get some sleep!!! thank you!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook