1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding sum of convergent series.

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I have determined, correctly I believe, that the following series converges:
    1/[(3n-2)(3n+1)]
    Now I am asked to determine its sum. I have tried separating it into two subseries, but each time got a p-series with p=1, hence to no avail.
    The answer should be 1/3, but how may it be arrived at?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would rewrite 1/[(3n-2)(3n+1)] as the sum of two fractions, using partial fraction decomposition. When you have done that, expand the new series. You'll probably find that the series is a telescoping one.

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Partial fractions, following which you get a very simple telescoping series. Write out the first few terms of each.

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

EDIT : Whoops i didn't read the whole post, my bad.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  6. Nov 16, 2012 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The OP has already determined that the series converges. Now he/she needs to determine its sum.

7. Nov 16, 2012 #6
    Thanks!
    How may I know whether the series ((-1)^n)[cos (3^n)x]^3/(3^n) converges/diverges?Should I use the Leibnitz Criterion?
    It is stated that (cos a)^3 = (1/4)(3cos a + cos 3a)

8. Nov 16, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest starting a new thread for this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook